New headphones enthusiast
Aug 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jds491r

New Head-Fier
For the longest time I was a fool. 95% of my music I listen to is done in my room, on my computer, by myself. Since I live in an apartment building, in order to not disturb my neighbors I invested in some headphones so I could play music as loud as I pleased. 

The Beginning:
My first headphones I purchased were the Sony MDR-ZX100. They looked nice and I just grabbed them off the shelf from Wal-Mart. I used these for nearly 2 years, watching movies and listening to my music. After a while I discovered that headphones actually had different capabilities and were not all the same (I know. Can you believe my ignorance)

The Middle: 
I quickly went out and bought some new ones. Unfortunately I just took myself right back to Wal-Mart and picked the most expensive ones I could find on the shelf. These were a $40 pair of iFrogz Earpollution Ronin Deluxe. These were a great improvement from where I was. I was getting much better lows and more crisp sound. These however did have a below average comfort level I wasn't too pleased with. One day my brother comes over and sees my headphones, so I give him a listen. He says, "Yeah they're alright, but they're no Sennheisers." I was angry at this having just spent $40 on new headphones. I love music and I want it to sound the way it's supposed to. After he leaves I take it to the next step.

The Present:
I take a risk. I go online and I find a pair of Sennheiser HD 205's on sale for less than $50. Seeing that they are listed around $80 I purchase these sum bitches regardless of having never used any except my brothers 202s. Last week they arrived and let me tell you, I am glad they did. Well worth the money, these things have some incredible sound. I go back to my old ones and sample against them and there is no contest. I am very impressed with the all around sound of these headphones. I listen to everything from dubstep to movie score tracks and it gives it all with crisp sound. This sounds cheesy, but my life has literally been changed by the beauty and sound of good headphones. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 10
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet. Unless you want to bleed money and develop a serious case of gear inferiority complex, leave now and never read any posts here.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 10
Well in that case, you should buy a DT 990 or HE 400, a receiver or Dolby-headphone device like the MixAmp to process your movie signals, upgrade your PC sound card to output 5.1 via TOSlink to the receiver/device, and then at least an amp like the O2 to drive the headphones.

Or you could do the most sensible thing, and flee.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Welcome to gateway drugs.  Here is a post describing my gateway drugs:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/381405/trafomatic-experience-head-one/120#post_8176509

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Well in that case, you should buy a DT 990 or HE 400, a receiver or Dolby-headphone device like the MixAmp to process your movie signals, upgrade your PC sound card to output 5.1 via TOSlink to the receiver/device, and then at least an amp like the O2 to drive the headphones.

Or you could do the most sensible thing, and flee.

LOL!

Yeah I'm also new to the game, part of me wants to pull away for the sake of my wallet, the other parts is just hungry for better sound. always haha.

Fun fact, my first pair of headphones were also the Sony MDR ZX-100s!

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #9 of 10
If I may offer 2 pieces to advice to you guys (in a way this is what I'd tell myself if I could go back in time):
1. Buy what you really want, not just what you can afford for now.
Case in point: I bought an AD300 4 years ago because I had a budget I didn't want to exceed; my then-girlfriend said why did I settle for less? She knew my heart was set on a DT880, which cost about 3-4 times as much. I sold the AD300 at a loss, bought the DT880 with a basic amp. 4 years on, and my DT880 is still my ol' trustworthy headphone for gaming, music (out of the right amp), and the odd bit of recording/mixing.

2. Set non-negotiable "deadlines" after a purchase.
This is another way of saying, don't give in to the upgrade bug. Even when you're happy with what you've purchased (e.g. a portable headphone), there's a temptation to buy something else (maybe an amp? a DAC? I should have a different headphone for home us, etc.). Don't. Set a hard deadline for when you are allowed to make your next purchase. This will force you to do your homework before buying something, and then commit to it.

Of course the fact that you're already on Head-Fi probably means this is all falling on deaf ears...

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Well look at us. What are you listening with now?

Currently I still use the Sony's for when I'm on the go, and if I want to be "lazy" with my ears per se haha. Now I have a pair of the Sennheiser HD 429s which I use primarily for particularly bassy tunes and hip-hop/funk. Gorrilaz Plastic Beach sounds great with those! For most everything else I use my Superlux HD 668B. Aside from a pronounced treble (which is easily fixed with EQ) they are more or less neutral headphones. Great lows and mids, and one you bring the treble down, it sounds very nice and balanced. Add to the fact that I got them for $45, which is an absolute steal considering I'm getting $120+ sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back