New headphones arriving, pauses during burn-in OK?
Sep 14, 2007 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dimm0k

100+ Head-Fier
Been reading up on the burning in of headphones and it seems like an interesting concept that I would like to try out especially since I have a new pair of headphones on its way. Because the time it takes to properly go through this process is a lengthy one I was wondering if it's okay to stop it in the middle and resume another day or should it be done nonstop? I've read some saying not to stop while others saying to give it a 2 minute break for the headphones to cool off. Some have even done the stop and resume...

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 7
I say just listen to them and burn in on your listening time. Since that way you will notice changes in sound if any at all. I have never noticed an improvement in my HD 580's only changes in the portable amp i bought for it.

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 7
greatly depends on the type of hp you have on the way. IEMs have virtually
no benefit from burn in, AKG 701 and Ultrasones absolutely require it (to me).
I can't imagine any stoppage would affect anything in the conditioning process.
What do you have on the way?

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 7
gritzcolin: if I break them in by listening to them on my time that would take a while, as I'm barely home... from your suggestion though, pauses would be okay no?

dw6928: headphones on the way are the Grado 325i

sugarinthegourd: oops, I didn't mean the headphones themselves get hot. It was just mentioned that it's recommended to give the drivers a break rather than running them constantly, which is why I'm curious as to what really is recommended.

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 7
dimm0k you are treating burn in as if it is a scientific and proven fact. It's not, there is no science that has even been able to prove it does anything. It certainly does not change the frequency response. Just do what you like.

The more basic question you seem to be asking is if it is OK to leave the drivers running constantly. Yes, it is, as long as they are not at earsplitting levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back