New headphones arrived!
Aug 7, 2017 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Gorf

100+ Head-Fier
My new Shure SRH1840s have arrived.

Plugging them into my desktop speakers headphone socket, the sound is fairly detailed, but not as good as the speakers & the bass is quite light. I'm assuming that I will need to bed them in & I'm fully prepared to get a headphone amp & DAC if necessary. Is 10 hours bedding-in enough?

Assuming after bedding-in that they are still lacking, would a Schiit Magni/Modi setup be suitable, or possible a Chord Mojo?

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 11
My new Shure SRH1840s have arrived.

Plugging them into my desktop speakers headphone socket, the sound is fairly detailed, but not as good as the speakers & the bass is quite light. I'm assuming that I will need to bed them in & I'm fully prepared to get a headphone amp & DAC if necessary. Is 10 hours bedding-in enough?

Assuming after bedding-in that they are still lacking, would a Schiit Magni/Modi setup be suitable, or possible a Chord Mojo?

I found the SRH1840 to be a little bass light myself, so the Shiit stack may not be the best synergy as they are known to be a little on the brighter side. To be honest a warmer solid state, or a tube amp would be a better match but the problem with tube amps is the high output impedance.

Possibly the Schiit Vali 2 would be a good match with an upgraded tube,

I also recommend about 50-100hrs of burn-in, playing music at slightly louder than listening volume. Some will say it makes no difference, I believe it can make a small difference.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for your reply.

I'm running a Pink noise burn-in at the moment. Would regular music be better?

Re your suggestion of the Vali2 would that be plus a Modi2? With the cost of these two items, would you consider a Chord Mojo instead?

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 11
I agree with Oscar that the Schiit stack may not be a great match. I will say the newest Modi is substantially improved over the prior model and less bright. But I sold it within a week as its USB implementation is weak and sound was not what I wished for in a dac. The Mojo that replaced it was a clear cut above to my ears. That being said, I do like the Vali2 for brighter cans. Maybe a little Chinese dac like the FX Audio DAC x3 might work. It is not far behind the Mojo on my desktop speaker setup.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for your reply.

I'm running a Pink noise burn-in at the moment. Would regular music be better?

Re your suggestion of the Vali2 would that be plus a Modi2? With the cost of these two items, would you consider a Chord Mojo instead?
Regular music is better because it exercises the driver more effectively due to the wide range of frequencies

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 11
Just an fyi pink noise has every frequency from 20hz to 20khz represented. Not sure whatever music you are playing does. Power distribution is different with pink noise vs white noise so a combo might be best. There are free files of both on the web.

Aug 7, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 11
Thank you for your replies.

My understanding is that pink noise is covering the spectrum - although probably all at the same volume. From the sound of it, the noise would probably not be too distracting if I left it playing (in another room) all night. My eventual aim is to get a Plenue P2 & be fairly mobile. I may also want to use my laptop. I wondering therefore if a Mojo would be the better bet?

Aug 7, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 11
I just put the headphones on an appropriately sized pillow, haha
I left my 650's in their box and put the whole thing in a drawer :p

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 11
Does a tube amp such as the Vali2 have a noise floor? Does it introduce a hiss or some other sort of sound in quiet passages?

From the Schiit website: "It's a very serious tube amp! It's a great choice for most full-size headphones, but it's too noisy with IEMs."

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #11 of 11
Should I create a new thread to ask about amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back