New Headphones/an AMP/soundcard/DAC
Nov 28, 2013 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Garryfish

New Head-Fier
Hey

I recently joined this forum to seek help. I plan to buy the HD 598. If there's really something much better, please write! Now i've no clue about what to get with these pair of headphones. First someone recommended a soundcard, then someone said that was very bad, and recommended me to buy an AMP/DAC. But i've no idea what to buy. I'm looking in the price range of 50-100 dollars.

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 33
Heya,

Describe more of what you're looking for? Why the HD598?

Here, keep it simple:

Maximum budget (this includes the headphone AND a proper source device, like a little usb dac/amp or soundcard, unless you already have something)?
Open air? Or closed back (isolation/privacy)?
Gaming? Or just for music/movies/etc listening?
Pad material preference (velour/leather/pleather/foam)?
Sound properties: bright treble? Dim treble? Do you want it to be very bassy? Slightly bassy? Not bassy at all? Neutral? Bass shy? Emphasis on mids/treble only?
What range of media do you listen to? Genres?
Does it need to be portable? Or is this for home use only?
What quality is your media? CD? Digital (Mp3, etc)? -- This is critical because low quality music does not translate to better sound in better equipment; it's the opposite.

Very best,

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 33
Maximum budget is around: 300-370 (everything included)
Second thing, i dont really care too much if people hear what i like, as i dont really give a "****". So open air is ok, but so is isolation.
Mostly gaming, sometimes Opera, mostly jazz/crooner and in some occasions some of the more modernized (spelled?). But mostly Gaming. BF4, LoL (where i hear music while i play), or a game like Assasin's Creed, World of Warcraft. So pretty much any genre - music and Gaming.
The GamesCom Platronic 780 has some nice cushion, or what you would call it. So has the 598 - so that's what i prefer. But anything will do - aslong it's not irritating, scratchy or not comfortable.
Well, slightly or "medium" bassy, but atleast not the centre. 
I mentioned some, but here we go: Some "PoP", rap/hiphop, but mostly jazz/crooner (i am one of a kind, rap and jazz is the way to go :) ), opera. So pretty much everything. Which is also why i kinda want the Sennheiser HD 598, because it's good for all music genres, i've heard.
Home use only - i have some in ear headphones that cost like 60-70$, that is quite nice with my SG4.
90% is music from spotify which has okay quality i've heard if you set it to high quality (which i dont know how to do, but if anything does, please tell me), and 10% from Youtube that mostly has good quality.

Thanks for your patience man! 

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 33
  Maximum budget is around: 300-370 (everything included)

Maybe get the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box) sound card, currently $75 + tax, with free shipping, at Newegg.
AKG K612 Pro (120-Ohm) headphones, Amazon sells used for $150.37 + Tax, with free shipping.
From my best understanding, the K612 Pro are a little more warm sounding, then the Senn HD5XX series.
So for around $250, you should have some nice sound.

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 33
Maybe just a basic setup with the sony ma900 (regarded as better than the hd5xx series) and asus xonar dg sound card (yes, you should probably start with a sound card as you like to game). Else, you could also look into the phillips fidelio x1 if you want some more bass.

Bot 'phones are easy to amp and probably a decent place to start. Do you have spotify premium? If so, edit -> preferences -> playback - high quality streaming.

Nov 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #9 of 33

Good way to drive those AKG K550s.

Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, price? (used is fine)

Objective 2 (EPH-02) headphone amplifier.
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/headphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/

The Xonar/EPH-02 combo should work well with the K550s.

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 33
  What is the difference between Xonar DX/D1? I researched abit - do you need anything extra for the DX?

They are the same sound card, except the D1 is PCI and the DX is PCI-E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back