New Headphones advice
Aug 14, 2019 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

miguelfcp

Head-Fier
Hi guys.

So at this moment I have 1More Triple Driver In-Ear and I use them with DragonFly Black DAC.

I'm looking to upgrade to an headphones but I don't which to choose. I'm thinking in closed back in order to reduce noise from outside when I'm at house or at work. When I'm at work I want to use them too with amp NAD C328 which have a CD player and turntable rega planar 1 connected.

The music I listen is metal genres and some rock too. I'm thinking spending something between 150€ to 300€ (if extra money is worth it).

I want more detail and more sound-stage compared to which I have.

Which are your recommendations?

Thanks for your time! Best regards!

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 24
Hi guys.

So at this moment I have 1More Triple Driver In-Ear and I use them with DragonFly Black DAC.

I'm looking to upgrade to an headphones but I don't which to choose. I'm thinking in closed back in order to reduce noise from outside when I'm at house or at work. When I'm at work I want to use them too with amp NAD C328 which have a CD player and turntable rega planar 1 connected.

The music I listen is metal genres and some rock too. I'm thinking spending something between 150€ to 300€ (if extra money is worth it).

I want more detail and more sound-stage compared to which I have.

Which are your recommendations?

Thanks for your time! Best regards!
I think the problem here is that you already have a pretty good setup for your price. If you want something that is even more powerful, you do need to splurge some money, or maybe change your 1More to the Over-Ear ones. I would suggest you invest on a portable Amp on the higher ends, which are expensive, but should be able to add more bass for the headphones in your price range.

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 24
I think the problem here is that you already have a pretty good setup for your price. If you want something that is even more powerful, you do need to splurge some money, or maybe change your 1More to the Over-Ear ones. I would suggest you invest on a portable Amp on the higher ends, which are expensive, but should be able to add more bass for the headphones in your price range.

I just want more detail and soundstage. I'm happy with DAC/AMP that I have so at least for now I don't want to improve it.

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 24
I just want more detail and soundstage. I'm happy with DAC/AMP that I have so at least for now I don't want to improve it.
Since you want more bass at your price range, while already having one with the most bass headphone in that price range + DAC/AMP that you have, it's really hard to find others easily. FOr your price range, you already have the best one for you imo, and you can't really improve it unless you buy a better headphone or DAC/AMP. You should go to a store and ask a professional since nobody else seems to know any better right now, and no one seems to be replying to this thread.

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 24
Since you want more bass at your price range, while already having one with the most bass headphone in that price range + DAC/AMP that you have, it's really hard to find others easily. FOr your price range, you already have the best one for you imo, and you can't really improve it unless you buy a better headphone or DAC/AMP. You should go to a store and ask a professional since nobody else seems to know any better right now, and no one seems to be replying to this thread.

I didn't say I wanted more bass.
What I look more is soundstage and detail. That's why I'm looking for headphones and want to substitute my in-ear in order to have those characteristics.
And about price range I was thinking to spend to 300€.

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #7 of 24
I'd recommend the Audeze Mobius.. it has digital processing which I prefer such as room emulation and head tracking. It's like listening to desktop speakers and a subwoofer, but with isolation.

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 24
I didn't say I wanted more bass.
What I look more is soundstage and detail. That's why I'm looking for headphones and want to substitute my in-ear in order to have those characteristics.
And about price range I was thinking to spend to 300€.
Oops, I must’ve confused yours with another thread, sorry about that. On that budget, with addition of detail and soundstage, I have to recommend the Meze 99 Classic. It is closed back, but not tight to the head or the ears so it is comfortable and doesn’t get too hot compared to other headphones. It also has a stylish look to it, which I don’t know whether it suits your taste or not, but it is definitely more natural and detailed sounding in terms of sound, since the headphones that Meze makes have warm sounds that really shows at the mids and highs. In terms of sound stage, I would say it is pretty wide for a closed back headphone in the budget area as well, although there are limitations in terms of sound stage to closed back headphones.

I think this would be a good match for your criteria overall, the budget, what you want from the headphone, and maybe the style as well, and it also has a low impedance which is a bonus, you can power it even with your phone and it’s even better with your portable Amp.

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 24
The Meze 99 are very good and are an amazing value but I like the Mobius better. It is more transparent sounding and goes deeper. The mic is removable if you don't want it to look like a gaming headset. The drivers are actually planarmagnetic.

Sep 1, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 24
The Meze 99 are very good and are an amazing value but I like the Mobius better. It is more transparent sounding and goes deeper. The mic is removable if you don't want it to look like a gaming headset. The drivers are actually planarmagnetic.
Can’t really go wrong with planar magnetics, but I think that’s a bit outside the budget range. But with the addition of mic, might be a worthy investment.

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #15 of 24
I second the Meze 99 suggestion, at least if closed backs are preferred. If open or semi-open are acceptable, then I would suggest a look at HifiMan 4xx (or 400 series) and the Dekoni Blue's (Fostex T50's with better pads) both are great sounding headphones, the latter being darker sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back