New Headphones, $2000, M902
Oct 22, 2007 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

phunge

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I'm a long time reader, but have not posted much.

My Current setup is:

Rega Apollo -Digital-> Grace M902 --> Sony SA5000
Rega Apollo -Analog-> Grace M902 --> Sony SA5000
Computer -USB-> Grace M902 --> Sony SA5000

My speaker setup is going into storage indefinitely, and my wife complains about the leakage from the SA5K's (semi) open design.

While the primary motive is to move to a closed set of phones, I'm also going to miss my speaker setup, and would like to upgrade my phones to compensate. My current setup is my first foray into headphones, so I don't really have a point of reference to compare to, other than my speaker system. I doubt I can ever achieve the same level of impact as my speaker system, but I am curious about upgrading.

Requirements:
*Budget is around $2000
*Would like increased bass performance over SA5K (This is what I will miss most about my speaker system)
*I love detail (this is the one area where the SA5Ks tromp my speaker system)
*While I listen to a wide range of music, The most important to me is Electronica, so soundstage is not as important since there is really no soundstage to re-create. (the M902's crossfeed does not even have an effect on much of this material, to my ears)
*Want to retain the comfort level of the SA5K -- I find these to be extremely comfortable

Any an all suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I've been considering everything from W5000 to UE-11pro.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 19
Edition 9 rocks electronica. (To my ears). L3000 is also worth looking into, although much harder to get your hands on.

Both are also closed so you don't have to worry about sound leaking.

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 19
I'm not really a fan of the SA5K, but the Ed.9 does give you its speed and related soundstage (some differences here with S-Logic see below) with more bass (still tight but quantity and layered). Depending how you define detail versus resolution (and there have been some wars here especially when commenting on the Sonys) you may or may not find the Ed.9 match the SA5K, but it's better than most. The Ed.9 does clamp a bit, but the special sheep leather is comfy.

Because I don't like the SA5Ks and don't listen to electronica much (tend towards more organic stuff) my comments might not be of much use, but while the S-Logic gets debated for some of its radiation claims, it's holographic soundstage is quite magic and I find this especially so for some electronica. It's easy to to 'get lost' and 'float,' which tends to usually happen less with closed cans for me. This may be slightly more obvious with the 2500s (which I first 'understood' S-Logic), but it's present with the Ed.9s too.

EDIT: And welcome officially to Head-Fi!

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 19
OK, so after a whole bunch of reading about the Edition 9s, this is what I've concluded:

1. The sound signature seems to be close to what I am looking for
2. The jury is out when it comes to S-Logic. Some love it, others not so much.
3. Comfort is questionable -- some say yes, others say no. This is in part because of the clamping force, as well as the small earcup size.
4. Design is similar to my V700s
5. Build quality is very very good

Without being able to hear these, I am reluctant to pull the trigger.

Someone else suggested the L3000. how does the L3000 compare with the more readily available W5000? How would the W5000 compare to my SA5000?

So many choices...

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 19
W5000 has the same tonality shift towards mids/treble as SA5000. W5000 has good textured extended bass...that is very weak on impact and insufficient for electronica.

L3000 has very very strong bass, overpowering to some. It has a darker tonality than W5000, but in general sounds like any audio technica.

That being said...L3000 also needs to be heard extensively before purchasing, although I guess seeing how fast these disappear, it will be easy to resell.

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
W5000 has the same tonality shift towards mids/treble as SA5000. W5000 has good textured extended bass...that is very weak on impact and insufficient for electronica.

I'd just like to second this. The W5000 is a superb can, IMO, but is definitely not appropriate for beat-laden electronica.

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 19
This is great, thanks for the opinions.

Sounds like W5000 is out. L3000 is difficult to procure. Edition 9 is difficult to audition.

Supposing I switch gears and open up the selection to open phones as well. There are a set of Qualia's currently on EBAY: http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-QUALIA-010-...em230184081573

Based on a comment from JJCHA in another thread about best bass phone:

Quote:

That would be the Qualia 010. I wouldn't call it punchy. But nothing is is more refined, detailed or more extreme in low extension. Nothing else matches the timber of its texture. Others may be more impact -- which I do consider a good thing and why I like the L3k and PS-1, but overall, the best quality bass is the 010 for me. I do like the GS1000 with bowls, but that is because of their impact (and fun, punchiness) not because of the other criteria.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ss#post3143029

So, assuming the SA5Ks design evolved from the Qualia's design, can the Qualia's be considered to be similar to the SA5ks, only better? Could anyone contrast the two phones?

Does anyone know who the seller is, as he indicates he is a head-fi lurker.

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 19
SA5000 is too bright and too lean in the tone body, but has great detail and sharp 3-D imaging.

Denon 5000 may be what you need - closed with strong bass.

As far as open types, the HD600 with Cardas cable is the best headphone I have ever heard (better overall than the Stax top models).

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 19
You wll probably like the Qualias the most if you come from Sa5000. However, they are VERYVERY fit dependant. If they fit you though, they will be the lightest and the most comfortable headphone.

You should also remember that Qualias are the only headphones with different sizes. It just makes fitting more difficult.

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 19
You wont find a pair of Qualias for 2000, 3000 seems about right. I think you'd really, really love Qualias but they leak almost as much as Sa5000s.
Also I don't really think the Grace m902 will do the Qualias justice, but thats something you could decide on your own and always upgrade later.

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as open types, the HD600 with Cardas cable is the best headphone I have ever heard (better overall than the Stax top models).

HD600 in single ended operation is vastly inferior to Stax in terms of speed, which does not help the relentless instrument separation and bass speed needed for electronica. It does improve alot when balanced, but M902 is a single-ended amplifier.

That Qualia will probably go for around $3000, especially given that proper fit for most people happens to be a small, and now Singlepower offers a custom headband for them. It is a good can for the job, very much so.
(if a medium or large comes up, you are competing with me).

Denon D5000 has a strange tonality that may be the favorite of some, but there are a few that consider it not all that special. Also it gets trounced by Edition 9 in every way except for comf0rt (D5000 is probably comfier than any other can out there, save the HD590). I am also under impression that D5000 sounded best with tuby sounding Woo amps, not the solid neutrality of M902?

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am selling my Edition 9s. PM me if interested. They are in super shape and barely used!

And not burned in ^.^

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 19
not even close to being fully burned in. probably gonna sell off my RS-1 but I may have another highfier interested and will go to him first and i did saay probably on that one. need the money cuz i think i might be gettin somethin BIG!!!! anyway the ED9s are officially up for sale and not on the FOR SALE forum cuz I am missing my one month membership......get it b4 it gets there first. I think i'll be legit t o do it there in a day or two.....

BTW, I too will be investing in an m902!!!!!!!! Goot Stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back