New headphone
Apr 2, 2016 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Martijn W

Head-Fier
I'm looking for new headphones!

In the past years I was a Sennheiser HD800 user. Because i used it not so much i sold it and switched back to my AKG K240 Sextett headphone. Unfortunately the Sextett is now officially dead.  Allthough the AKG Sextett was not as good as the HD800 it really was great to listen to.

So now I'm looking for new headphones!

I like to take my new headphones with me more than I was able to with the HD800 and the AKG Sextett. For on the road they should not be to expensive (not >1000 euro's like the HD800) but I NEED good sound quality (so sound quality is much more important than price). Also they should not be fatiguing. I loved the HD800 but also hated it a little bit for being fatiguing on my in longer listening sessions. AKG Sextett was great in this btw.

Btw. I also have Sennheiser HD25 but this imo is not an example of good sound quality. I use it for DJ but I hate it its overly exagerated boomy bass for any other application.

So summarised requirements and desires:

Requirements
- Sound quality (best possible)
- Easy to drive (low impedance)
- Not fatiguing!

Desires
- Not too expensive (preferably <500 euro's but don't let that stop anyone from posting options)
- Not to big (for easy 'on the road' use)

At this moment I have found 2 options:

- Sony MDR-CD900ST
Closed back, low impedance, quite compact, and defintaley not expensive. I have not heard them myself but I have read some positive stories about them (especially about the midrange). I have not read anything about fatigue (but also, not sure)

- Audio Technica ATH-M50
Closed back, low impedance, quite compact, and also not expensive.

Does anyone have any more ideas? Please  also post if it does not match ALL desires and requirements.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Martijn

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 9
Imo the ATH-M50 is grossly overrated and you would be wise to remove it from your list, especially if you don't like exaggerated bass. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you will take the headphones with you on the road? Does that mean they should be closed, easily driven? Maybe check out the hifiman he 400i's though not closed or maybe the oppo pm 3/2s? Or maybe some Mr Speakers?

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 9
You will likely get a much better response to your post if you place it in Introductions, Help & Recommendations--FYI. That said, if I were you, I would be looking hard at the PM-3--it ticks off most, if not all, of your boxes. An outstanding can.

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Thnx.

I checked out the PM3 as they sell it 5 miles from here. Very nice headphones indeed. I liked the way they sound. Only over here (Netherlands) they are quite expensive in relation to the price paid in the US. The price in the Netherlands is € 529,- which is $602,-.

I must say, at $400 dollars these indeed are great value for money. I still like them for 600, but the value for money is not very good imo..

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 9
I would not rule out the ATH-M50x, especially the new gray limited edition... slightly exaggerated bass and treble but IMHO they have decent resolution, very good overall musicality, and decent comfort. There are many on these forums that swear at them (and I respect that position), but many like me still swear by them, they have earned their keep in this industry/hobby as far as I am concerned. Worth a listen to see how they strike you.

I agree that the PM-3 is the top choice...

Slightly more comfortable but less accurate would be the Sony MDR-1a, which I think are even slightly more bass heavy than the ATH-M50xx, but the Sony has even better resolution, smoother highs and an overall more relaxed and forgiving sound.

Slightly less comfortable and a little thin sounding at times but with a very nice sound signature and good resolution would be the BeoPlay H6, that may be a better buy in your neck of the woods, not sure...

If you have a fairly small sized head and small ears, the Focal Spirit Pro is a very nice set of headphones as well.

Other models to consider from BeyerDynamic, Shure and others but I am not familiar with them...

I believe that you have to spend significantly more to do better than the above, and get significantly less performance in most cases spending just a little less than the above, they are a true sweet spot line up.

Regards,

Greggo

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 9
  I'm looking for new headphones!

In the past years I was a Sennheiser HD800 user. Because i used it not so much i sold it and switched back to my AKG K240 Sextett headphone. Unfortunately the Sextett is now officially dead.  Allthough the AKG Sextett was not as good as the HD800 it really was great to listen to.

So now I'm looking for new headphones!

I like to take my new headphones with me more than I was able to with the HD800 and the AKG Sextett. For on the road they should not be to expensive (not >1000 euro's like the HD800) but I NEED good sound quality (so sound quality is much more important than price). Also they should not be fatiguing. I loved the HD800 but also hated it a little bit for being fatiguing on my in longer listening sessions. AKG Sextett was great in this btw.

Btw. I also have Sennheiser HD25 but this imo is not an example of good sound quality. I use it for DJ but I hate it its overly exagerated boomy bass for any other application.

So summarised requirements and desires:

Requirements
- Sound quality (best possible)
- Easy to drive (low impedance)
- Not fatiguing!

Desires
- Not too expensive (preferably <500 euro's but don't let that stop anyone from posting options)
- Not to big (for easy 'on the road' use)

At this moment I have found 2 options:

- Sony MDR-CD900ST
Closed back, low impedance, quite compact, and defintaley not expensive. I have not heard them myself but I have read some positive stories about them (especially about the midrange). I have not read anything about fatigue (but also, not sure)

- Audio Technica ATH-M50
Closed back, low impedance, quite compact, and also not expensive.

Does anyone have any more ideas? Please  also post if it does not match ALL desires and requirements.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Martijn

I suggest you find your way to a set of Beyerdynamic DT880's.
Fine sounding, beautifully made headphones. Time-proven design.
Superb comfort. "Reasonably" priced.

Impedance is a bit high at 250 ohms, but they seem to hit all
your other points very well.  I've had mine for years and listening
to them (with an amp) is still a pleasure.
smile.gif

Apr 5, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 9
  Thnx.

I checked out the PM3 as they sell it 5 miles from here. Very nice headphones indeed. I liked the way they sound. Only over here (Netherlands) they are quite expensive in relation to the price paid in the US. The price in the Netherlands is € 529,- which is $602,-.

I must say, at $400 dollars these indeed are great value for money. I still like them for 600, but the value for money is not very good imo..

Wow! That is quite a price for the PM-3. I had no idea. :frowning2:

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 9
Also the PM-3 seems like quite a step down from my AKG K240 Sextett qualitywise.

When i compared the PM-3 with the Sennheiser HD650 the store also had in their inventory I noticed the HD650 being quite a bit more accurate. And I remember liking the Sextett more than the HD650 when I compared those earlier.

So i decided to order an AKG K712 as a replacement of my K240 Sextett.

So, not portable, not closed, but hopefully a worthwile replacement of the Sextett. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back