New headphone user looking for hd portable player
Sep 5, 2013 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

artguide

New Head-Fier
I have to audio quest dragonflies on my macs that work great when i am at my computer.  On my Grado ps500's the sound is awesome. I am looking for a  portable HD music device that will give me good sound and price for the buck. I was looking atthe X3, but 64 gigs of music is like 30 albums and that isnt much to travel with.  

any suggestions would be helpful

thank
 You
Eric

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 10
Heya,

32~64gigs is it on my devices. The high capacity ones are mostly classic ipods with rockbox and line out docks.

I use a rockboxed sansa fuze with line out dock to my portable amp. 32gig micro sd chips. I just swap chips if I want different albums.

Very best,

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 10
Get the DX50 with a couple of SDXC cards.  Also getting an older iPod class then Rockbox it for FLAC might work.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 10
for ipod classic, you dont necessarily have to rockbox though you can of course. i have read some people like it and some people dont, as far as the rockbox goes. if you dont rockbox, you can use apple lossless.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 10
  thx for the ideas.. my understanding was that the sound cards on ipods and iphones were so dismal that my alac or other hd codecs would be wasted by playing on them?

This is really a matter of taste, as any properly encoded AAC or ALAC will sounds good with stock iPods, but any MFI DAC/AMP, like the VentureCraft SounDroid Typhoon, will kick them up to 11 and more.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #10 of 10
  thx for the ideas.. my understanding was that the sound cards on ipods and iphones were so dismal that my alac or other hd codecs would be wasted by playing on them?

well you should have alac anyway because that way when you get an external dac/amp (fostex hpp1 for example) to go with it, you dont have to delete your songs and reimport them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back