new headphone time - '06 dt880's ??
Jul 9, 2006 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Eisenhower

500+ Head-Fier
See my sig for what I have right now. I like my hd595's, but I have a feeling my headfive isn't being used to its fullest potential. I was thinking about grabbing a pair of grado sr225's for rock and metal, and I could use my senns for everything else. Or, I could sell them and go for a more expensive phone altogether. I was looking at the new dt880's, and maybe the akg 701's or senn hd650's.
I don't really feel that the 595's need replacing except in the rock/metal department, where they are even outclassed by my ksc-75's for alot of recordings. But then again, I've never had a chance to listen to any of the above mentioned phones, so I dont know what I could be missing.

I listen to literally everything btw.

Jul 9, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
See my sig for what I have right now. I like my hd595's, but I have a feeling my headfive isn't being used to its fullest potential. I was thinking about grabbing a pair of grado sr225's for rock and metal, and I could use my senns for everything else. Or, I could sell them and go for a more expensive phone altogether. I was looking at the new dt880's, and maybe the akg 701's or senn hd650's.
I don't really feel that the 595's need replacing except in the rock/metal department, where they are even outclassed by my ksc-75's for alot of recordings. But then again, I've never had a chance to listen to any of the above mentioned phones, so I dont know what I could be missing.

I listen to literally everything btw.

If you feel your equipment is lacking in the rock/metal department you should of course get yourself some Grados. DT 880 and AKG 701 will give you more refinement for other types of music over you HD 595s, but Grados will really blow you out of your shoes.
rs1smile.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 16
I’m not a great fane of Grado’s for rock, and moving from your comfortable senn 595's to a pair of Grado’s might be a comfort shock.

When I tried the 125's in the shop I thought I could bear the discomfort, for the sake of enhanced sound quality, but there's no getting away from the fact that the Grado’s are uncomfortable........although I own two pairs????

My Beyer 660's are what I use for head banging bass. I thought the Sennheisers were a little too light for rock.

So my advice.....try the Beyer’s for bass and Grado if you want pin sharp sound.....and uncomfortable ears.

Jul 10, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
I don't really feel that the 595's need replacing except in the rock/metal department, where they are even outclassed by my ksc-75's for alot of recordings.

Given you prefer the 75 to the 595 for rock I'm guessing what you want is more weight to the sound. The Senn 650 fits right in there where the Grado 225 and more so the Beyer 880 do not. Its not called heavy metal for nothing
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Given you prefer the 75 to the 595 for rock I'm guessing what you want is more weight to the sound. The Senn 650 fits right in there where the Grado 225 and more so the Beyer 880 do not. Its not called heavy metal for nothing
wink.gif

yes weight and impact, but also more high end, or maybe a better high end. The 595 sometimes sounds "dull" with cymbals, and the robust midrange sort of muddles things up on some records (but on some it helps fill out the sound)

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 16
If you want a headphone to fill in the gap that the HD595 leaves for metal/rock then I would definitely say get the SR225's. They compliment eachother very well. I wouldnt put too much stock in the comfort issues that some people complain about with the Grado's. Imo it is really blown out of proportion. I can wear my Grado's indefinitely now that I've bent the headband back so that the pads are parallel with eachother, and now that I've had them for a while so the bowls have softened up a bit. Very comfortable. If you want a headphone that shares qualities of the SR225's and the HD595's get the K701's. Theyve got wide soundstage, lots of detail, punchy bass, and convey distorted guitars very well. Just my opinions based on experience...

Edit: the K701's are very versatile headphones where as I would consider the SR225's to be very specialized. Something to consider since you say you listen to alot of different kinds of music.

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 16
You might consider the DT770 over the 880, a little more bass impact with comparable highs. It's closed though, so the overall signature is different from the 880.

Jul 10, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 16
If you haven't listened to a pair of grados, you owe it to yourself to do so, especially if you like rock and metal. While I agree with others about a more expensive headphone giving you more refinement, no one can tell you what is good for you. For example, while someone recommended the k701's for rock, i can honestly say that they are by far the WORST rock headphone I have ever heard bar none, where as the old dt880's were one of the best ones i've heard. The HD650 is also a pretty darn good headphone for heavy metal, but really, you'll have to hear them for yourselves to choose. Personally, I would say get the sr225's to compliment the 595s you already have and be done with it, unless you have some way to hear the higher end headphones.

Jul 10, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 16
Grados are not uncomfortable if you bend the headband outward so that they rest lightly on your ears. Then they are very light, comfortable, and don't get hot at all. I love my SR225, no complaints at all.

Jul 10, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #12 of 16
I second the Beyer dt990. About ready to get it.

Jul 10, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 16
I have the 2006 DT880 and they are not an all-arounder. And they're definitely not for rock or metal either. It's good for classicals and I find it very good with female vocals. What the DT880 lack in punchy forwardness, it makes up in details, leaving nothing behind. I hear every single instrument clearly in my classical music. Hope this helps. I haven't listened to any other headphones so I can't give an opinion on them...

Jul 10, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
...consider the Beyer dt990.

Nods.

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #15 of 16
People need to take into account the personal preference of the individual and the preferred listening level when they come up with blanket statements that a certain can is useless for a certain music genre. I am sitting here and am having a blast listening to metal on my DT880s (2006 edition). How can this be?

1. My current listening level is IMO quite loud, probably enough to escape the most of the Fletcher Muthcingson curves and give the sound a more forward nature
2. The DT880 is a fairly bright can which downright rules when it comes to for example cymbals
3. The soundstage is good and large which almost makes a drum solo a bit eerie as it moves in the soundstage as different drums are hit.
4. The ruler flat, clean and very extended bass does not intrude on (and cover) the mids where the electric guitars reside. This is certainly a matter of personal preference, but IMO metal, which tends to be more melodic in its character than rock ( if you listen to metalcore and other "metal", this does not apply) rests on the guitar lines. Sucked out mids kills them in my eyes.

In the end ALL of the frequencies matter in a certain way. The bass provides a body and a lot of the headbanging factor, the mids contain the majority of the musical content while the highs are needed for keeping up the life in the music (see the general complaints on how the HD650 performs with rock, which is the very reason to why some like them for it). It is more a matter of which drawbacks from recessing the different frequence ranges that you are more willing to accept. We could also bring soundstage into the equation, some perfer the typical grado sound stage, some others dislike it and want a less forward one.

Of course, if you want a headphone for listening to mostly metal and rock on lower listening levels, just forget it, this is NOT the best alternative. If you worship the allmighty bass, then feel free to continue to do it and get another headphone that might satisfy you, while I am satisfied with what I have and continue to worship the mids. I played around a bit in foobar and applied a "V" curve on the EQ which supposed to yield the best results with heavy music. I hated it, it was as if there was no energy in the sound.

NP: Judas Priest - Painkiller
biggrin.gif
*headbangs as much as is possible without having the cans fall off my head*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back