New Headphone System w/ $2,000 budget.
Jan 6, 2006 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nwbaxter66

New Head-Fier
I think I posted in the right forum - my sound source being a computer... if not I apologize and am sure I will be moved by a moderator.

I am in the fortunate situation of being able to build a new headphone system to use at work and am looking for some opinions and suggestions. I am currently using an Apple Powerbook G4 through a Total Bithead (via USB) into Sennheiser HD 595s as a starting point and would like to stay with the Powerbook as a sound source initially. I am looking at picking up some AKG K271S headphones to deal with some of the “noise” in the work environment, but would like thoughts on what to put between the two ends :)

For reference purposes, the Powerbook has USB 2.0, Firewire, Optical Digital out and Line Out so I have some flexibility here.

Here are some of my thoughts so far – I don’t have to spend everything in the budget, but intend to stay in the $1,000 - $2,000 range:

All in one solutions would suggest:
Benchmark DAC-1 ($1,000)
PS Audio GCHA ($1,000)
Apogee Mini-DAC with USB ($1,200)
-- and I can use USB in for all of these solutions

From a component standpoint, the USB options are more limited, but I could use a combination of Headroom Desktop components with Power Supply and Home Modules and integrated DAC for around $1,500.00.

Going to the Optical in or RCA in, gives me lots of options:

Musical Fidelity – X series v3s – start with the X-DACv3, and add the X-10v3, X-CANv3 and the X-PSUv3 power supply would move towards the top of my budget at around $1,800 (from amusicdirect.com). I don’t really need the X-10v3 until I add another source, but …

CI Audio solutions look equally interesting with a VDA-2 and VHP-1 and two VAC-1 power supplies, plus a VPC-2 so I can add another CDP at a later date and stay within my budget.

I was somewhat intrigued by a combination of the Scott Nixon TubeDac+ and 3Xac power supply, but wasn’t sure what headphone amp might suit it well – the Dodd Audio “Stereo Home Amplifier” seemed to be an interesting fit, but either CIAudio or Maximum Fidelity might be good, or the Ray Samuels new Raptor or HR-2 caught my eye.

I did not discount offerings from Meier-Audio or Creek or the Gilmore Lite, but narrowed the list down to those mentioned.

Based on what I have been reading and some simple gut decisions, I am leaning towards the CI Audio components from a sound quality/value for money perspective, which would allow me to add some good cabling and stay well within budget. But I am not convinced, and from what I can find, my listening options in Nebraska are limited.

Choice is a terrible thing :) Thanks for your assistance and thoughts.

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 8
You could look at the Headroom Desktop amp with home module and home dac and stepped attenuater and it's still $1,300. It is indeed an awesome dac/amp combo, maybe the best at this price
confused.gif
I think it would mate well with the akg271's you're looking at.

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...esktop-amp.php

Jan 6, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 8
The Channel Islands stuff is great and would be a better choice with the AKG K271S than the Benchmark [which I don't really like at all]. The GCHA would be interesting to try, but I have no experience with it. The K271S need a decent amp to shine, but nothing crazy... a dynalo would be fine.
wink.gif

PS. It's Musical Fidelity... not Maximum.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 8
Hi nwbaxter66,
given that 1000-2000$ is much money, I'd suggest to post the same question (well, not just a copy-paste) in the amp forum, or even in the headphone forum. Moderators may get angry with me for this suggestion, but you'll get a larger feedback.
Regards

Jan 7, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 8
I love to death the Apogee MiniDAC and I strongly suggest it to prety much everybody. Specially with Grados. It's really good with them.

Unfortunately with the 595 I must say that they are just ... Ok.

MiniDAC-HD595 is far behind MiniDAC-SR225 IMHO.

So I wouldn't suggest the MiniDAC with the 595, even loving the MiniDAC so much.

Actually I never liked the 595 at all until I tried with the EMP A.E. I'm truly amazed with the results. I gave up on the 595 for music around 8 months ago, using it only for DVDs and Games. Now they get their fair share of listening time even competing with L3000, HE60, UE10Pro, ...

Good luck with your upgrade. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back