new headphone recs for ph100...
Dec 28, 2008 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sburgoon

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I finally took the plunge and got a Shanling ph100 to replace my home-made cmoy. First off, I was surprised at what a huge difference it really makes with my HD600s. I was listening to some of my older crappy mp3s and for the first time I could tell which were low bitrate or badly encoded joint-stereo without even trying.

Anyway, my setup is now an emu 0404 out to the ph100 to some hd600s. I'm looking to add a new pair of headphones for a different sound, and I was wondering what everyone thought between the Denon ah-D5000s, AKG 701 or the Audio Technica w1000 or w5000. Would the ph100 be enough amp for the big audio technicas, or should I stick with something not quite as high end but noticeably different than the hd600s? Oh, and I'm not buying a DAC instead because I managed to get my pc hooked up with zero noticeable noise with the 0404, so for now I think having a second pair of cans would be more interesting than an external dac. Thanks again!

-Sean

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 2
I think it would sound great with all of the above. I know that the shanling has good synergy with the 701, but I don't know much about the ATs or denon, though I do know that the shanling puts out more than enough current to drive anything low impedance you can throw at it. The question would be one of synergy, and I leave that to people who have heard the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back