New Headphone Quest
Dec 17, 2017 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

chux.bishop

New Head-Fier
Hi all, glad to be here. I need help getting new headphones with these criterias,

Frequency : 5hz - above 25khz
Great bass and awesome sub bass like beats but still good clear mids with decent, clear and bearable highs and trebles.
Vocals too should be clear but not soft, muddy or crisp.
Closed cups yes but with wide sound effect a bit yes, not the total boxed in kinda sound feel.
Simple design for mobility like beats ep or ath-sr5, ath-ar3is and cups should be able to stay flat.
Budget is $70 - $100.
Wired and on-ear too.

Will very much appreciate your professional help guys. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 18
Again, Monoprice Retro Headphones. They are 30 bucks bass heavy headphone that also happens to have an immense soundstage due to the sheer size of the cans. You can check out Zeo's review on YouTube about it.
Pros: Great Bass, extremely wide soundstage, 30 bucks
Cons: sounds too separated and dry, grainy, a bit dark, not detailed and clear, a bit unbalanced in upper mids.

Dec 18, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 18
Again, Monoprice Retro Headphones. They are 30 bucks bass heavy headphone that also happens to have an immense soundstage due to the sheer size of the cans. You can check out Zeo's review on YouTube about it.
Pros: Great Bass, extremely wide soundstage, 30 bucks
Cons: sounds too separated and dry, grainy, a bit dark, not detailed and clear, a bit unbalanced in upper mids.
Hi man, thanks for the recommendation...its a cool piece but i want more, something closer to the $100 range that would be really perfect to an extent....thanks

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 18
Hi all, glad to be here. I need help getting new headphones with these criterias,

Frequency : 5hz - above 25khz

No human being can hear from 5hz to 25khz (I barely hear from about 30hz to 16khz), so I'm not exactly sure what this criteria is supposed to be for (unless you want your pets to be able to use your headphones too :) )

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 18
I don't know anybody who can hear from 5hz to 25khz (I barely hear from about 30hz to 16kzh), so not exactly sure what this criteria is supposed to be for.

You can definitely hear the lower and higher frequencies in perfect lab conditions, from around 10 Hz to 28 kHz, especially if you're young. This is also only considering if you listen at safe volume, technically if you pumped the volume high enough you would be able to hear even lower or higher but that really isn't the best idea.

Despite that, @HBen has a very good point, what is this criteria even for since most music don't even have frequencies going up that high nor that low.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 18
Lol...5hz - 30Khz headphones i hear have the craziest bass, and the type that goes really deep and are Hi-Fi, that is, clarity and good sound balance is sure... i recently returned a grado sr325e i bought, 18hz - 25Khz, the sound was wicked yes but the highs cracked a bit and very weak bass, could barely hear the kicks and sub bass plus very heavy headphone, the pads hurt my big ears alot and was also very fatiguing and gave me headaches all day.

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 18
Lol...5hz - 30Khz headphones i hear have the craziest bass, and the type that goes really deep and are Hi-Fi, that is, clarity and good sound balance is sure... i recently returned a grado sr325e i bought, 18hz - 25Khz, the sound was wicked yes but the highs cracked a bit and very weak bass, could barely hear the kicks and sub bass plus very heavy headphone, the pads hurt my big ears alot and was also very fatiguing and gave me headaches all day.

The frequency range of a headphone has nothing to do with its sound signature if that's what you're implying.

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #10 of 18
While I don't personally like it, the M50X might be suitable for your needs. Though I'm also not sure how much of a basshead you are and depending on the severity, it might not be enough. It goes for around $100 (give or take) street price.

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #11 of 18
While I don't personally like it, the M50X might be suitable for your needs. Though I'm also not sure how much of a basshead you are and depending on the severity, it might not be enough. It goes for around $100 (give or take) street price.
lol...*touches my head*...my head likes beats kinda bass...its big...m50x too big and DJ size-ish

Dec 18, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #13 of 18
Dec 18, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #14 of 18
Oh you want on ears? If that's the case sorry I won't be of help, don't know many on ear headphones...
oh...ok, if i have to go with over the ears, what do you think of the
Philips SHP9500S Over-Ear then ?

Just picked up a set of Beyer Custom i On-Ears for $27.99 w/Free Shipping at Newegg
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826380030

They also have Klipsch Ref R6 On-Ears for $26.99
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0TH-00A0-00070

The Beyer Over Ear version of the Custom One is at GC for $89
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Beyerdynamic/CUSTOM-i-Over-Ear-Pro-Headphones-1348672137282.gc
cool, will check them out and read reviews on those...thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back