New Headphone Purchase - Need Advice
May 30, 2020 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jodeci23

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I don't have much experience with headphones, and would like some educated advice, if possible. I've only pretty much had a pair of Sennheiser Momentums (first edition) and they were pretty good but they crapped out on me. So, I've decided to spend a bit more money, if need be, and upgrade from them because, while I did like the way they sounded, I'm sure there are better options out there.

After researching for a while, I decided to buy the Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart and I was kinda disappointed. They're just not what I was expecting. After reading, reviews, I was expecting to be blown away but I really wasn't, especially for that price. Maybe I don't like the sound signature and prefer Sennheisers? I'm not sure.

Anyway, so I would like to see if I could get any advice on what I should try next. Going off my research, I was looking at maybe trying the Audeze LCD-2 Closed-back, the Ultrasone Pro 900i, or maybe something from BeyerDynamic. Or maybe I should just stick with Sennheiser, since I like the Momentums. I'm not sure. So, if anyone could provide any insight on what would be my best bet, I'd really appreciate it.

As for my preferences, I did like the Sennheiser Momentums (but, again, I don't have much experience with headphones), so I guess I like that sound signature. I listen to mostly progressive house, techno, deep house, and tech house. I would like a pair of headphones where I feel immersed in the music and just get lost in it. I'm not sure if that'll help. I'm looking to spend anywhere from $150 to $800. Also, I have Schitt Magni 3+ amp.

Thank you, in advance, for any help. Let me know if I can provide any other details.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 12
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I don't have much experience with headphones, and would like some educated advice, if possible. I've only pretty much had a pair of Sennheiser Momentums (first edition) and they were pretty good but they crapped out on me. So, I've decided to spend a bit more money, if need be, and upgrade from them because, while I did like the way they sounded, I'm sure there are better options out there.

After researching for a while, I decided to buy the Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart and I was kinda disappointed. They're just not what I was expecting. After reading, reviews, I was expecting to be blown away but I really wasn't, especially for that price. Maybe I don't like the sound signature and prefer Sennheiser's? I'm not sure.

Anyway, so I would like to see if I could get any advice on what I should try next. Going off my research, I was looking at maybe trying the Audeze LCD-2 Closed-back, the Ultrasone Pro 900i, or maybe something from BeyerDynamic. Or maybe I should just stick with Sennheiser, since I like the Momentums. I'm not sure. So, if anyone could provide any insight on what would be my best bet, I'd really appreciate it.

As for my preferences, I did like the Sennheiser Momentums (but, again, I don't have much experience with headphones), so I guess I like that sound signature. I listen to mostly progressive house, techno, deep house, and tech house. I'm looking to spend anywhere from $150 to $800. Also, I have Schitt Magni 3+ amp.

Thank you, in advance, for any help. Let me know if I can provide any other details.
1. Open back or closed back?
2. Do you like a lot of bass?
3. Do you prefer a midrange focused sound?
4. Are you sensitive to bright high frequencies?
5. Price range?

This information will help guide recommendations.

May 30, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 12
1. Open back or closed back? Closed.
2. Do you like a lot of bass? Some bass. Not too much, I don't think.
3. Do you prefer a midrange focused sound? I have no idea. Like I said, I like how the Sennheiser Momentums sound. I don't know if that is considered midrange focused or not.
4. Are you sensitive to bright high frequencies? I honestly don't know.
5. Price range? $150 - around $800

May 30, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 12
To consider:
- Audeze LCD2 closed-back (as you mentioned)
- Beyerdynamic DT177X GO (on Drop)
- Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 closed or Aeon Flow RT closed
- Massdrop X Meze 99 Noir
- The ever popular ATH M50x

Hopefully someone will comment on Sennheiser closed-back HPs. I’m not that familiar with them.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 12
To consider:
- Audeze LCD2 closed-back (as you mentioned)
- Beyerdynamic DT177X GO (on Drop)
- Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 closed or Aeon Flow RT closed
- Massdrop X Meze 99 Noir
- The ever popular ATH M50x

Hopefully someone will comment on Sennheiser closed-back HPs. I’m not that familiar with them.

Seinhesser Momentum closed back are V shaped but more tilted towards the bass region. Thick notes, upper mids a step back. Oddly forward late treble that gives a sense of Ambience.

May 31, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 12
Seinhesser Momentum closed back are V shaped but more tilted towards the bass region. Thick notes, upper mids a step back. Oddly forward late treble that gives a sense of Ambience.
Good to know. So I guess, of the ones I mentioned, the Beyerdynamic, Meze 99, or ATH M50x would fit that profile better than the others.

May 31, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #9 of 12
Thanks, guys. I'm going to look further into those Beyerdynamic DT-177X Pros. I didn't even know those existed.
They’ve been on my wishlist for a while 👍.

May 31, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 12
I was thinking, are there any open backs that I should look into? I've never really tried open backs. I would like to feel like I'm enveloped in the music and get lost in it. I instinctively thought that open backs wouldn't be able to provide that experience because outside noise would interfere. But, now that I think of it and the more that I read reviews, I'm probably wrong. Are there any open-back headphones that you would recommend that would be able to deliver that experience for the type of music that I listen to?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 12
Just wanted to say thanks for the Beyerdynamic DT-177X suggestion. They're exactly what I was looking for. They're awesome.
Great! Glad they worked out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back