New headphone purchase, confused and need help :)
Apr 21, 2017 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

wolfwood3081

New Head-Fier
Well first off hello, this is my first post but I have been lurking while researching my upcoming purchase.

What I am coming from:

I am a gamer that is into Rock, Blues, Jazz, and some older Metal. 
     I like rich bass, but do not like sloppy bass

I currently use Siberia 800 (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249187)
     The mic on these is starting to go out
     The batteries are starting wear out

I do not have an amp currently
     I am not opposed to buying/building one though

What I have tried out so far:

DT990 - These belong to a friend of mine and they sound nice on his setup.  When we tried them without the amp/dac the highs were not pleasant to me. 

T50RP - I really liked these, but they were Mayflower mkii.  From what I have found the mkiii is in my price range stock, the modded ones are not.  I cannot find unmodded ones near me in stock to listen to.  I am not opposed to modding them, I am busy as hell currently with work and it will be a down the road thing.

M50X - They sounded ok, but I do not care for the feel of them. 

What I am looking for is a headphone that while it may benefit from an amp, does not have to be amped right out of the box.  My budget is about $150 - $200 right now.  A few months down the road I will have more free time and cash to buy/build an amp and to mod things if needed. 

A couple things I would like:

Removable Cable - this will be paired with a mod mic, I would like to be able to disconnect from my desktop cabling (more than likely I will put braiding around the two cables on my desktop) and connect to another cable for mobile listening or plugging into my TV when my family is sleeping.  Plus it makes things easier if cables get chewed on or break.

Decent Sound Stage - Siberia 800 is a closed back wireless headset so the sound stage isn't really there, so this is something I do not have a lot of experience with and can be lower priority. 

Warm sound but still fairly flat - I do some video editing and will drop sounds in or add background music.  This would help me make it sound the way I want it to if it is closer to neutral right?

Ok, so I don't know if that information will help.  I am really looking for some recommendations for my first set of high end headphones and get away from gaming headsets.  Both for sound quality and for consistency, as I tend to keep my headsets for at least a few years when they break I am throwing out the whole setup and they have changed the model or discontinued it.

Thank you in advance for any help :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back