New headphone needed
Jun 19, 2017 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Goit

500+ Head-Fier
My HD598 has been less than comfortable for me. The main issue is heat, the velour pads are too substantial and make me sweat.

Are on-ear headphones better in this regard? I was looking at something like the HD25.

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 12
on-ears are definitely cooler.

Jun 19, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 12
Jun 19, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 12
most people find on-ears less comfortable for long use

but airflow to the ears is clearly going to be increased with on-ears
supraaural-circumaural-530.jpg

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 12
As a long-term user of HD25's I ventured into the land of Audeze Sine's but never got on with them. I find HD25's with Yaxi Type B earpads super comfy and don't make ears too hot.

Squishy ear-pads :)
Looks good. Do you know what head-sizes the HD 25 accommodate? I'm switching from the 598 so that's the size I'm using for reference.

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 12
Depending on the size of your head, Grados might be to your liking. They're on ear and use very breathable pads so heat is never an issue.

However, my friend has a rounder head, and he finds they squeeze his ears so much he can't wear them for over 15 minutes.

edit: I should add that I can wear them for 3+ hour listening sessions with no pain and no heat.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 12
My HD598 has been less than comfortable for me. The main issue is heat, the velour pads are too substantial and make me sweat.

Are on-ear headphones better in this regard? I was looking at something like the HD25.

On-ears will still be quite hot in the center and you have even less isolation, so cranking up whatever cooling system you have will get in the way of your music even more.

If the problem is temeperature I'd much sooner look into a quiet cooling solution that changing headphones. Like a newer A/C unit. If the ambient temp is much lower then your ears are working with a lower temp to begin with also.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 12
On-ears will still be quite hot in the center and you have even less isolation
I'm going to demo the HD-25's and see if their clamp is light enough, hopefully the headband can extend to the same degree of the 598's.

Depending on the size of your head, Grados might be to your liking.
They have to be reference headphones.

Edit: I'm also looking at the HD25 Light set. Does anyone know why it purportedly has a higher contact pressure than the full version?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back