new headphone amp/dac wanted
Jul 25, 2011 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

alexsj

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new headphone amp/dac combo with a fixed rca output that costs less than $500 (but I could spend more).  I have a small desktop set-up that I really like which consists of the audioengine n-22 amp and p-4 speakers.  The N-22 amp has a pretty decent headphone amp but I would like something better and I do need a dac since I use a computer as a source.   I currently own the Sennheiser HD 595 headphones but I will shortly buy the BeyerDT880 250 ohm and will probably eventually buy the Sennheiser HD 650 as well. 

The amp/dac combo that seems to have the best features for my purposes is the audiophile fubar IV for $349.  It has 3 digital inputs and a fixed out.  I also like that it has a gain switch.  I have read mixed reviews of the unit, though, so if anyone has any feedback on it, I'd love to hear it. 

I have considered a few other units at this price.  The nuforce hdp apparently has a pretty competent headphone amp but it has a variable out.  Is this something I should worry about? The centrance dacport has the same issue and I am not in love with the fact that I have to constantly switch between cans and speakers since it has only one audio out. 

The next logical step up would be the Magic Hall 25.3 at $595 but I've heard the headphone out is not bad but not great; the audiogd fun is $450 but I can't find much in the way of specs on it.  Both are pretty large by the way and would eat up a lot of room on my desk which is why I keep circling back to the fubar iv.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back