New Headphone advice for very total newbie :-)
Oct 13, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #17 of 39
Please someone, anyone, everybody, tell me where the NEW POST is to be found. Can only find REPLY button. I would like to contribute to this forum but can't find a way in. This is the most confusing forum I've ever come across but is very headphone orientated and is of interest to me. Regards, Andy.

Oct 13, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #19 of 39
Oct 13, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #20 of 39
Headlover, as you can see this is a reply to an already existing post or whatever you want to call it. To do this I clicked on "Reply to Thread" If I want to start a new post of my own, say I want to ask a specific question or maybe buy or sell something, how do I start? I can find nothing to start a new post, nothing I can see says "New Post" Where is the new post button/ikon or whatever the parlance for computer types is.

How is a new post launched? It's a very straightforward question. I have no idea what url's & img's are, nor do I really have any real desire to be any more ofay with computers than I am at this present moment. Just tell me where the damn button is to start a new post.

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #22 of 39
you mean like make another thread? or post in a thread? or quote someone and reply to them?

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #23 of 39
thank you Nff, I don't mind international at all. They definately put Stax back in the picture
normal_smile .gif
Nff, can you tell me how do I connect to the them from my PC or receiver? is there a coax or optical input?

One thing I don't understand, is that people are recommending buying amps and DAC's etc. Is it different for headphones than speakers? When you are buying speakers you buy the best speakers you can afford because they are the most important part of your system. Whereas reading here about headphones it seems to be buy the other stuff first (amp's, dac's etc.) then worry about headphones.

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by melmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you Nff, I don't mind international at all. They definately put Stax back in the picture
normal_smile .gif
Nff, can you tell me how do I connect to the them from my PC or receiver? is there a coax or optical input?

One thing I don't understand, is that people are recommending buying amps and DAC's etc. Is it different for headphones than speakers? When you are buying speakers you buy the best speakers you can afford because they are the most important part of your system. Whereas reading here about headphones it seems to be buy the other stuff first (amp's, dac's etc.) then worry about headphones.

with headphones its sound quality that maters first so your SQ is only as good as your Source. if your source is a PC then a dac would be perferable. because it basicaly acts as your Digital to Analog converter (DAC) but the signal comeing out of the dac has no current to it so you need an amp to get it strong enough to power the cans..

but to hook up a stax set you use a mini>rca conecter. for a pc but if you have a component CD player or something it should have a RCA out so just use a rca interconect for that.

so pc you need a stereo mini to rca interconect.

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #26 of 39
Connecting to your PC is only good if you have a very good Sound Card like ASUS D2 or D2X or the Claro or what ever.
But, they are still much less better than out board DAC !

But from the DAC you need amp, or you can buy one that have it both like the Oritek OMZ or Benchmark DAC1

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #27 of 39
yes if you get an external dac you need an amp but if he gets the stax set i linked he will have an amp.

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #29 of 39
yes he dose. but i'd say jump on the stax system wile it lasts (2days) and then do some research into the dacs

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #30 of 39
Thanks for the reply however still unable to locate new post. Near top left you say, all I see there is Head- Fi's Sponsors (premier sponsors bolded) Maybe we get a weird edition in the UK.

Is anyone smart enough to do a "screen print" and highlight where that ******* button is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back