New Head-Fi'er, needs advice, blahblahblah...
Apr 18, 2006 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

opozoid

New Head-Fier
I'm relatively new to the forums, and needed some advice on some new headphones. Before I begin, I received my PA2V2 a week or two ago, so I do at least have a small amp, and my favorite genre is rock/metal.

Anyways, here's the story as short as I can make it. My first quality headphones were inexpensive Senn closed eH-something, and when they died, I got 280 Pros. Well more than a year later, they started falling apart, cracks in headband, and I was sick of the lack of bass. I tried AKG 240s, and somewhat liked the sound, but was too bright in some of the highs ('ssssss' vocal sounds just reminded me of nails on a chalkboard) and I returned them. I decided to try a Senn open model, HD-555 (which I sold this past weekend). Overall the sound was ok, but the mids were way too overwhelming for my genre, highs did not extend high enough, and bass was a little weak. I ordered MS-1s, thinking those would be perfect. I found they were just too much in my face, were way too bright in the upper mids/lower highs, and were way too uncomfortable. After doing some forum reading, I thought perhaps Audio Technica would be nice. I went and bought a cheap pair of ATs, the M30s, just to see if I liked the AT sound. The answer was definitely yes. These phones lack detail and I can tell the frequency response is not very flat, but overall they are the phones I've liked the best so far.

So my question is... given my likes and dislikes, I am seriously considering the A900s. I'm hoping they will have the same general sound as M30, only more detailed and with a flatter frequency response, and of course more comfortable. In your opinion, do you think I will be satisfied with the A900s, or maybe look elsewhere? I can't really afford phones costing much more then US$200, and I am in a fairly noisy environment so closed headphones are a good idea, though its not incredibly noisy so open phones would be ok too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 9
The HD 25-1 might also be great for your needs. It isolates well, and has the bass and aggression needed for metal.

But the A900 is also a reasonable choice.

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 9
I've used just about every headphone under $400 you see discussed around here for varying amounts of time, and I'm currently settled on the A900s.

They have a balanced sound, excellent bass, are detailed, comfortable, and easy to drive if you find yourself without an amp.

Very good all around set. Me recommends.

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 9
I definitely recommend the A900s, the detail and instrument seperation is incredible. Plus, you don't get that whole music bashed into your head feeling at all.

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 9
A900 or Maybe A500

As it'll kick you first time. You will be "Woouuw".
basshead.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 9
Thank you very much for the advice! I feel much more confident about making a purchase now. Plus now I know if I find I made a bad decision, I can probably sell them for a reasonable price in the FS area of these awesome forums. Note to self: keep the box and receipt from this purchase.
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 9
I bought the ATH-A900's as a result of liking the ATH-M30's very much. I think you will be happy with the A900's, though they sound very different from the M30's. The A900's really don't sound like closed cans in my view, compared to the M30's anyway. The A900's have better detail resolution and soundstage. The M30's have a warmer sound and seem to isolate more.

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 9
I have both HD 25-1 and A900. I use The Hd 25-1´s on the go and the A900 while working in an open office layout. I can for sure agree that the A900 is a step up compared with HD25-1. Therfor I use A900 for my working days in front of the computer. Also as certain is that the HD 25-1 is the best of the two for walking around the city and other various portable use. The A900 is huge as mentioned, and do not tend to be in the same place on the head while moving around.
Good luck whatever your choice will be.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back