New Head-Fier looking for an amp/headphone combo.
Aug 5, 2013 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kent Nova

New Head-Fier
I'm just getting into the hobby, but have been an avid music fan for quite some time. I'm looking to buy my first headphone amp and a pair of headphones to go with it. I currently own Grado SR80 (before they put the i on it) and Shure SE215. From what I understand, neither of these need an amp, and I rarely listen to the Grados anymore anyway (I don't find them to be very comfortable and the Grado sound doesn't suit me anymore after listening to the Shures), so I don't need the amp to take into consideration my other headphones. 

I'm considering a Schiit Valhalla with AKG k702 Annies and buying a pair of the regular pads to go with it for a different sound signature. I've read that the Valhalla was designed with the k702 in mind and have heard good things about the pairing. (I feel like I'm talking about wine and not headphones now.) I am open to other recommendations though.

I have a budget of $700USD ($750 max) for both the amp and headphones. I'd like a tube amp, but it's not a requirement. My inputs will be an old Technics CD player, and a Rega RP3 -> TC-760 preamp. I listen to a bit of everything, but mostly folk and acoustic in both the pop and rock varieties.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 8
Maybe try asking on this thread about what amp works well for driving the AKG K702 Annie headphones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626971/akg-k702-65th-anniversary-edition

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 8
Have you looked at the Battle of the Flagships thread? http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13 Plenty of headphones listed there in the $300 to $400 range you might consider. Spending a little less on the amp wouldn't hurt if you find headphones that are better suited to you.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 8
@cel4145: I have read through that comparison a couple of times actually. The HD600 and DT880 are on my short list too, but I'm not sure what drives them well.  Also, the DT880s have different ratings, so I'd have to look into the different driving requirements too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back