New Head-Fi Update
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #406 of 1,792
No advance search option. I can not upload custom profile picture. This is HTML 5 or what ? Who made this ? Its 2017. The adaptation for different screen resolutions is non existent. At least make the old site still available while this joke is being tested. My feedback.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #409 of 1,792
18191100_10207051824413476_2088107093_n.jpg

Re-post from Facebook.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #410 of 1,792
When you post in a thread, you're now no longer automatically subscribed to that thread.

You can change this in your profile settings to default to automatically watch a thread you post in and also optionally get email updates for replies.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #411 of 1,792
Stop. Just stop... There are ads on top of text and grey boxes and offensive ads everywhere. Did this really go "according to plan"? How to even search posts within a thread anymore?

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #412 of 1,792
I've only spent 10 minutes on it so far and here's what I found:

• My password no longer worked and I had to reset. No biggie, but it seems to log me out constantly.
  • All links to threads are broken. This is a nightmare.
  • My bookmark for subscribed threads is no longer good. I can't even find my thread subscriptions, they seem to have disappeared.
  • Search is terrible -- I can no longer sort by relevance, thread or date.
  • There is no longer a handy new posts section I can click on, unless I'm just missing it.
This seems to have been a poorly considered upgrade, with not enough testing (I assume they MUST have tested this somehow?) before launching. That's too bad, as I may strongly consider going to a different forum.

I'm using a temporary account because I couldn't reset my password. My ISP marks head-fi's MTA as SPAM, so without a recovery email, no old account, and no way to reset without a recovery email.

I know they'll get it straightened out, but it's frustrating at the moment.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #413 of 1,792
More:

1. Front page does not recognize that you are logged into the forums. It shows a "log in" button even though you are already logged in.

2. Watched thread list defaults to a collapsed state where ONLY the threads with new activity are shown, forcing an action to see all threads. I think the default should be in expanded state, or that it should be a user-configurable setting. I use that page as a list of threads I am interested in for reference purposes, and frequently go back to threads without new activity to check something.

3. Ginormous banner ad across top of page overlaps and covers the breadcrumb navigation (Firefox, Win10).

4. With the change, Auto-subscribe and auto-notify settings have reverted to both being off. This may prove frustrating for many. Should be announced.

5. Related to #1, authentication appears to be wonky throughout various sections of the site. If I click on the link provided by Joe above, https://head-fi.org/f/watched/threads, I get an error page telling me I have to be logged in, despite my being logged in.

I've seen this with PayPal, banking websites, etc., with the shift to responsive design now focusing almost exclusively on mobile visitors, general usability takes a big step backwards. What used to be one click is now two. Information that was displayed en masse is now buried in subentries.

Information is just harder to find.

It may be easier for people who only exist on cellphones, but for those operating in a traditional desktop environment, everything takes longer.

*grumble* AND STAY OFF MY LAWN!!!

LOL you really have a future career in QA. Well done!

Normally with responsive these UI errors should be easier to fix, not harder, since you're going with a tried and tested template.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #414 of 1,792
I'm using a temporary account because I couldn't reset my password. My ISP marks head-fi's MTA as SPAM, so without a recovery email, no old account, and no way to reset without a recovery email.

I know they'll get it straightened out, but it's frustrating at the moment.

My friend has this issue too, he's stuck now. Sent two reset emails with nothing being sent to him. This is also when we finally realised that there is no support email for head-fi, so he's out of luck.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #416 of 1,792
When is a usable mobile platform going to be up and running? The homepage is currently unusable on my phone. Some links on my phone take me to a mobile version, some take me to a desktop version.

Also, I keep getting HTTPS certificate errors on multiple devices with the new site; the kind where your browser will block the site.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #419 of 1,792
Guys, exactly the same thing happened when Head-Fi switched to the Huddler platform 7 years ago. Everyone thought the sky had fallen because a bunch of functionality was missing or had changed. Over time, that was fixed and improved.
Sorry, I'm currently trying to get out from under the sky, which has inexplicably fallen on me.

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #420 of 1,792
The new site is far better. I believe the difficulties will be worked out, everybody be patient. One thing I think we can all agree on is the **** AUTO PLAY ADS MUST GO.*** The site already has a ton of ads and that's fine but autoplay ads are crossing a line, especially to an audio enthusiast. Nothing more annoying than doing a recording or something and an autoplay ad starts playing.

Search is bad. Need to be able to sort by threads/reviews/etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back