New head-fi member. Need some opinions!
Jun 23, 2012 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

stevenlongs

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys! 

New to head-fi here, and to audio equipment in general. I'll use my first post to briefly illustrate my situation. I have typically used your average "from the store 2-15$ earbuds" and there is a graveyard of these around the house. My only experience with audiophile equipment would have to be the entry-level ATH-A700 cans I had last year. Unfortunately they broke on me several months ago when I yanked on the cord too hard (The cans are too comfortable...I forgot I was wearing them and just broke the connection at the tip!).

In terms of earbuds/IEMs and such, I believe I used to own a pair of Creative EP-630, which if I recall, were about 10 metric asstons better than all the earbuds I've ever owned (mostly iBuds). I remember them being built like a tank (I've stepped on them on multiple occasions with no issues) Being the only IEM I've used up to date and having enjoyed those I recently purchased several IEMs to try out.

These 3 IEMs being the MEElec M16, Brainwavz M3, and the Yamaha EPH-100.

I purchased the MEEl M16 at a cheap rate for use at the gym and so forth. I wouldn't want to risk damaging something of higher value.
For the M3 and EPH-100, I acted on impulse without having tested either of em. Quite frankly I have no idea how they will sound, and can only imagine...
What i'm worried about right now, in hindsight, is that I may have purchased IEMs that sound almost exactly the same based upon the limited things I have read in reviews.
(Note I haven't received either of the headphones yet)
Is this a bad thing? Will there be a difference in sound, sound quality, soundstage, uniqueness that sets these two apart such that one type of music is better on one than the other? 

If this is a mistake I hope amazon has a return policy...

p.s. I am currently listening to music through MDR-W014 as shown in my avatar (the yellow headphones that came with the sony walkman) These are the currently the only non-broken ones I own and I can't wait for the IEMs to arrive!

Thank you for any opinions you may have.
New head-fier :)

Jun 23, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 4
First and foremost... Welcome Aboard !

Those ole Sonys sounded very good when I owned a set years ago.

What is yer budget? What kind of music do you listen to? What do you listen to it through? And many more questions that the pros will be along with.

Get ready to spend all your money seeking audio bliss.

Jim

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 4
thank you for the welcome!

I guess I wasn't very clear with my initial post. I'll try to clarify things.

I have already purchased both the brainwavz M3 as well as the yamaha eph-100s. However, I believe I might still be able to cancel my order if need be.

What i'm wondering is if both these in-ears sound too much alike...if that makes any sense. When reading their reviews, they both seemed to have qualities that piqued my interest, albeit seemingly the same ones.  I'm looking for something well rounded that is enjoyable to listen to. I wouldn't mind keeping both headphones but I don't want it to just be a huge waste of money if there was no difference between the two in-ears. 

I listen to pretty much everything but mostly pop, rock, electronica, country.

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 4
You won't need the M3 or M16 if you have the EPH-100. The EPH-100 is a top-class performer in the $100-150 price range. It gives bassy and very clear and full sound. Amazon has a great return policy though, so let all three orders go through, and return the two you don't like as much -- though I can almost guarantee they'll be the M3 and M16. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back