New HD580's... exciting
Mar 27, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 29
ALL new headphones come pre-infected with a case of "upraditis" -- the gestation period varies between peeps is only difference.
As soon as you open the box, you are doomed.
No Head-Fi'er has been know to escape this....
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif
580smile.gif

The first symptoms manifest themselves in your wallet....
frown.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah.. that familiar short-lived satisfaction/happiness
biggrin.gif

Yes -- the "headphone honeymoon period"....
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #18 of 29
haha... I love how even if everybody disagrees on performance per headphone here... everybody agrees on not needing a wallet seeing as nothing is gonna make it there.

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #20 of 29
Actually, I found the 600 grills' main effect is to add good looks to the 580 ! :wink:

But since you'll end buying the 650 cable, why wouldn't you add a few bucks to make ur beloved cans look better !
280smile.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by pathologique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I found the 600 grills' main effect is to add good looks to the 580 ! :wink:

But since you'll end buying the 650 cable, why wouldn't you add a few bucks to make ur beloved cans look better !
280smile.gif

after i painted my 580 grills (in sig), i find that the 600 grills look ugly compared to my painted 580 grills! i think before you spend the money, try spray painting them yourself. the pattern of the 600's just look a little mehhhhh.

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #22 of 29
Never mind the 650 cable. Just get the Equinox. You know that's where you're heading anyway, so why do the stepping stone of getting the 650 cable? Just get the Equinox, spend that money and be happy with it. Oh yeah, and pick up a good headphone amp as well.

PS. Oh, and don't forget to upgrade your source as well.

Mar 30, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #23 of 29
Thumbs up for the "mighty" HD580.
580smile.gif
cool.gif

I have two (as they are out of production), one is gelously closed, soon after a little control listening. I'm trying to resist from upgrading one of them
biggrin.gif

Andrew

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #24 of 29
ahhhh stop it people... lol I just got them and now I want to mod them already.

Has anyone used the Central Station's headphone amp for the HD580's... I really hope its a decent upgrade from no amp. Then again I really did buy it for its source inputs.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never mind the 650 cable. Just get the Equinox. You know that's where you're heading anyway, so why do the stepping stone of getting the 650 cable? Just get the Equinox, spend that money and be happy with it. Oh yeah, and pick up a good headphone amp as well.

PS. Oh, and don't forget to upgrade your source as well.

$10 for the HD650 cable isn't bad, and will boost the SQ alot more than the Equinox would from a HD650 cable to a Equinox. HD650 is a must have, upgrading later or not. I am usually against going step by set, but they are cheap, and they keep their value quite well.

Look into a tube amp for those HD580, LD 2++ sounds great with HD580s according to people who have them. I might get one just for the hell of it after I get the Stello Stack.

Mar 30, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by setasai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone used the Central Station's headphone amp for the HD580's... I really hope its a decent upgrade from no amp. Then again I really did buy it for its source inputs.

I haven't used it with 580's, but I think you'll be very pleased with it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #28 of 29
Got a pair of hd580's along with a Xenos 1HA-EPC amp. Amazing stuff, sounds great through both my ipod and iMic.

Mar 31, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by NtD Gr3nade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$10 for the HD650 cable isn't bad, and will boost the SQ alot more than the Equinox would from a HD650 cable to a Equinox. HD650 is a must have, upgrading later or not. I am usually against going step by set, but they are cheap, and they keep their value quite well.

Look into a tube amp for those HD580, LD 2++ sounds great with HD580s according to people who have them. I might get one just for the hell of it after I get the Stello Stack.

Yea, I thought bout getting a seperate amp... for a long time i was set on getting the gilmore lite or the corda aria... but I'm running optical out of my imac and so i figured i better get a dac with an ok amp and then upgrade the amp after...

Plus, at this moment i'm running a line out of the imac into an old vintage marantz stereo receiver... supposed to be one of the crappy ones though. HD580's are hooked into the headphone out of the receiver.

Thats the reason i went for a dac/amp combo... hoping that the dac portion is sufficient for me to get the amp upgrade later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back