New HD Mp3 player
Feb 27, 2004 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Krishna

100+ Head-Fier
There was a mention of the new XCLEF Hd-800 a few days ago, and it seems that a Norwegian company has picked up the designs for it and are marketing it in Norway and possibly North America.

http://asono.com/en/product_info.php?products_id=311

The player looks very interesting and has some great features. Hopefully it won't cost to much.

asono_Sound-hub-resampled-200x150.jpg

Feb 27, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 11
Looks pretty nice.
Specs page lists s/pdif input - Does anyone know whether it might be usable as an output. I dont really suppose anyone has one yet, but maybe someone has more info on the unit.
If it does, it would be only the second HD based player I know of with digital out (iHP being the first).
That and playback of uncompressed or lossless audio are the main features I'm looking for (so I can use an AOS PACE on the road)
etysmile.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by momerath
Looks pretty nice.
Specs page lists s/pdif input - Does anyone know whether it might be usable as an output. I dont really suppose anyone has one yet, but maybe someone has more info on the unit.
If it does, it would be only the second HD based player I know of with digital out (iHP being the first).
That and playback of uncompressed or lossless audio are the main features I'm looking for (so I can use an AOS PACE on the road)
etysmile.gif

Just FYI the Archos Studio was the first with SPDIF digital out... but it was electrical not optical

Feb 27, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 11
Really? I had a multimedia jukebox briefly (I broke 3 in two weeks- good thing I got the service plan at compusa) and I dont recall it having that feature. Do you know how good the electrical s/pdif on the studio is? Do any of the newer archos's have digital out?

Feb 27, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by momerath
Do any of the newer archos's have digital out?

Nope. just the older models. A few of the newer ones have Digital IN, however...

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
Nope. just the older models. A few of the newer ones have Digital IN, however...

my av320 has spdif in and out

like you said though, it is electrical, not optical

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by philodox
my av320 has spdif in and out

like you said though, it is electrical, not optical

ah. thanks for letting me know. i scanned the product manual on that model and I remember seeing a Line-In port but not a line-out port. Does it use the same 3.5mm mini-port for both? Also, where would you get the appropriate cable? Most digital coax cables are terminated to RCA at both ends, I believe.

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 11
I'm sure this is probably a hi-fi no-no, but I've used a mono 1/8th" to female RCA with an RCA-RCA s/pdif cable. Too many of the other components of that system were limiting, so I dont know if it had a measurable impact.

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:37 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
ah. thanks for letting me know. i scanned the product manual on that model and I remember seeing a Line-In port but not a line-out port. Does it use the same 3.5mm mini-port for both? Also, where would you get the appropriate cable? Most digital coax cables are terminated to RCA at both ends, I believe.

there are two ports on the top, one is audio out/vidio out and the other is audio in/spdif in&out

It uses a 3.5mm mini-port, but it is one with 3 connections instead of 2... you use the mini-3xRCA cable that comes with the device and connect the yellow RCA to whatever SPDIF device you are using...

I'm looking at getting an adapter that allows me to use my zu cable ash to hook it up to my home system, but havent had the motivation yet [my nec cdr sounds so nice
wink.gif
]

Feb 27, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by philodox
I'm looking at getting an adapter that allows me to use my zu cable ash to hook it up to my home system, but havent had the motivation yet [my nec cdr sounds so nice
wink.gif
]

I really want to know how this sounds. Can you verify that the digital output works on battery power? Right now an av300 series with the biggest 2.5" hd I can find in it, sounds like the best available option for me. My music collection is approaching 100G and thats mostly .flac which will double in size as .wav since there don't appear to be any .flac playing DAPs with digital out.

Feb 27, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 11
you can get 2.5" 80G harddrives for a decent price now... I'm looking at some to possibly upgrade mine... I dont think that I will be getting the adapter made for a while... but it doesnt sound too bad using the stock cable into my DAC
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back