New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
Jan 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #16 of 425
Where is the graph?  Where were they purchased from?  Were they compared using the same setup?  What was the setup?

We need these basic questions answered.  Thank you kindly.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #18 of 425
Hi,

I've found a deal for that new sound HD800 with serial number 20000 -ish here, guys. It seems much cheaper (US $1170). Do you guys think it is real.. or it is refurbished, made in China, fake, etc? 

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Sennheiser-ゼンハイザー-HD800-ダイナミック・オープン型ヘッドフォン-並行輸入品/dp/B0061MYR6Y/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1NDERBJUSQQL1

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #19 of 425
There are no fake HD800's. As with sound, besides the current HD800 that I own use to be purrins experimental unit as well as owning  2 other units at the same time [size=12.222222328186035px]Serials 51**, 136** and Purrins 103**, I found the earlier units a tad amount bass light to the newer units. I eventually sold off all 2 and kept purrins one, but back at op, saying that different units sound so different to each other is quite inaccurate you can also refer to csd plots and FR graphs. I will probably plan to buy another HD800 in the future as a stock one and use purrins one for modding. [/size]

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 425

OK I've pulled the trigger. Mine S/N is 20*** .. ... I can't judge about the bass (I've heard it before in a store, long time ago).. I just unboxing it and no proper amp at the moment. I am in Japan at the moment and will be here for the next few months. Sorry to hijack the thread but is there anybody live in Japan in this high end subforum? What is suggested amp for this baby other than HP-A8 which is available here (and cheaper of course just like the HD 800 I got just now :D) . I don't know if I can get nice tube amp here. Will send you guys later that kind of Frequency Graph from Senn.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #21 of 425
Mine are 195xx and I'm waiting for my frequency response certificate, but I have not had any issues with bass.

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #22 of 425
Hm

Mine are 19xxx as well, and I just recently got them.

Definitely an annoying peak at around 6k, but bass is pretty nice IMO.

Only got around 130 hours burn-in on them, and probably a good 100 hours of just listening to them so far, perhaps it changes with time.

(Oh, I also tried the Fostex HP-A8C for 3-4 days with the HD800's, and alltho the DAC seemed good I felt it could not drive the HD800s very well, especially the bass response seemed too thin.)

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #23 of 425
Their is now a (reversible) mod to get rid of that 5-6k peak. Thanks to Anax and purrin.

Btw welcome to the forums and sorry about your wallet...ohh wait..you just got the HD800's recently 
size]

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #24 of 425
Quote:

OK I've pulled the trigger. Mine S/N is 2**88 .. ... I can't judge about the bass (I've heard it before in a store, long time ago).. I just unboxing it and no proper amp at the moment. I am in Japan at the moment and will be here for the next few months. Sorry to hijack the thread but is there anybody live in Japan in this high end subforum? What is suggested amp for this baby other than HP-A8 which is available here (and cheaper of course just like the HD 800 I got just now :D) . I don't know if I can get nice tube amp here. Will send you guys later that kind of Frequency Graph from Senn.

Damn. Look at that 6k peak reaching for the sky.

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #25 of 425
Quote:
Their is now a (reversible) mod to get rid of that 5-6k peak. Thanks to Anax and purrin.

Btw welcome to the forums and sorry about your wallet...ohh wait..you just got the HD800's recently 
size]

Ooooh, would you be more spesific about the mod? Perhaps link it to me or give me a hint of what to search for? 

And who needs a wallet? I'll just forward my paycheck directly to the local audio dealer... :wink:

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #26 of 425
This one is a good place to start reading about the whys and what not: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #27 of 425
This one is a good place to start reading about the whys and what not: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

Nice :)

Guess that'll require some stuff I don't usually have around the apartment, but seems fairly trivial once you have the materials, and if I understand the article correctly it is fully reversible?
I will give it a shot after trying the various amps and dacs I mentioned in http://www.head-fi.org/t/645367/lcd-3-hd-800-amp/30#post_9086398 :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #28 of 425
Quote:

Damn. Look at that 6k peak reaching for the sky.

But it's only target one.. not my real FR graph :).

I am impressed by the treble actually, but then I am still using DacPort .. bass is also there.. the slam is excellent. I don't think I'm missing something. I'm sure it will improve drastically after I change my DAC/Amp line. 

The futuristic look make me think it's made for those Transformers autobots LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back