New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
Oct 7, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #406 of 425
To me, the graph does not hold ture meaing after X hours of use of the headphones, becuased it was recorded from the factory when the HP were brand new. Yes, I am one of those guys believe in burn-in, my ears can proof it.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #407 of 425
new owner of the HD800 serial 27xxx, heres my freq graph, I have not felt the HD800 was bright or fatugueing in the least

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #408 of 425
To me, the graph does not hold ture meaing after X hours of use of the headphones, becuased it was recorded from the factory when the HP were brand new. Yes, I am one of those guys believe in burn-in, my ears can proof it.

Burn in may be true or not, Even if it is the difference would be minor and so the graph would still be somewhat true

Oct 22, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #409 of 425
I just received a new pair of HD 800's today. The serial number is in the early 41000's I have not listened to them yet because I am waiting for a HDVD 800 to come in. I also bought to balance cable. I went on Amazon looking to upgrade my Audio Technica M50's and ended up spending thousands. I hope it's worth it. I just don't have the space for a huge home stereo although I have one still in the boxes in the garage.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #410 of 425
  Burn in may be true or not, Even if it is the difference would be minor and so the graph would still be somewhat true

new owner of the HD800 serial 27xxx, heres my freq graph, I have not felt the HD800 was bright or fatugueing in the least

My graph is absolutely identical to yours (serial number 35709).

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #411 of 425

I used Audacity to generate signals at specific frequencies and listened to the loudness on my headphones. You know the ear is most sensitive at 'speech' frequencies, that is how nature designed us. I cannot hear any peak @ 6Khz (it seems the same loudness to 4-6Khz) but I can hear a dip in loudness at around 8K as my chart shows compared to the higher frequencies. Possibly it is my own individual hearing at fault. 

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #412 of 425
I would be more surprised if there were significant differences in the graph, I am sure it is the goal of all manufacturers to have repeatable  matching results in the process.  The ultimate goal would be to have every Headphone mimic the next exactly

They sound great though dont they 
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #413 of 425
  I would be more surprised if there were significant differences in the graph, I am sure it is the goal of all manufacturers to have repeatable  matching results in the process.  The ultimate goal would be to have every Headphone mimic the next exactly

They sound great though dont they 
biggrin.gif

Yes I really like 'our' HD800 :)  It never sounds bright to me and it has this ability to put me in the 'zone' very quickly. I love the soundstage. The way it places instruments fools my brain very quickly and I am able to sink into the music. My HD598's soundstage is like a muddled mess in comparison (although when I first got them I thought they were great). 
Have you tried different sources and cables? You can hear all of the changes in sources extremely easily. I find that the   sources which have the 'widescreen effect'  do not work well with our HD800 as the sound is projected onto a flat plane and spread too thinly. I also like the Schiit Valhalla 2 amp pairing. Just received a message from a Schitt technician who confirmed that the HD800 was one of the primary headphones they used to develop this amp so no wonder it works well. I also changed from a no brand budget cable to a cheap Audioquest Tower RCA cable and it gave me a slightly smoother sound. Good to have someone else with the exact same headphone signature to compare notes. Cheers.

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #414 of 425
I added new power cables, and a power conditioner which added some weight to the sound signature.  switching out IC has not really offered much change in SQ.  I have a cardas clear on the way for the hd800 it will be interesting to see how that may affect the sound 
redface.gif

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #415 of 425
  I added new power cables, and a power conditioner which added some weight to the sound signature.  switching out IC has not really offered much change in SQ.  I have a cardas clear on the way for the hd800 it will be interesting to see how that may affect the sound 
redface.gif

I always thought that changing the power cable was snake oil but I am willing to give it a shot. Can you recommend anything reasonably priced and worthwhile? For instance I found that spending $35  on my RCA leads gave a small but noticeable change.

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #416 of 425
Yea I cant say what garnered the improvement exactly, I put a power conditioner, IC, and Power cords all in my set up at the same time, which gave me the perceived improvement of added weight, tighter bass

I have never been a believer in the cable deal either, I honestly feel like the HD800's superb clarity is the only reason I could hear the difference.  But I am glad I got them.  Now I dont buy anything new (I can not afford to)  so what I got was a OneAC model CP1103 power conditioner off ebay 50.00 delivered,  I bought 2 Signal Cable Power cords used off HeadFi, a pretty beefy one on the amp and 1 a bit smaller on the Dac,  Lastly I got a Moon Blue Dragon IC also off Head Fi paid 120.00 for the cables, so 170.00 for all of it Used

It is great even if I only look at it as protection from power surges etc....

I would simply keep an eye out for cables on the for sale thread and buy as cheap as possible,  same with a Power Conditioner on ebay, (I would concentrate on models that use an isolation transformer)

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #418 of 425
My 20XXX sounds very similar to my previous S/N also. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #419 of 425

That will take some time. I don't really believe those graphs because once the headphones have been used for so many hours that graph is going to be different than they measured at factory.

Norne Draug 2 is on the way, ho dear, my wallet hates me this month. At this rate I don't think I need any mod to damp the driver. The headphones I have personally had so far are HD650, DT880 (original version), T-1, LCD-2 V1, Airbow SC21, and Shure SE846. Of course I have hear others as well at friends' places such as Stax SR-009 and LCD3. The new HD800's tonal signature is a hair warmer than my SE846 (with standard blue filters) as a whole that really surprise me. The down side: the new HD800 seems have smaller sound stage compare to the old ones, but I think the new ones are much more natural this way.

New HD800 with smaller soundstage? That's preposterous!
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back