New HD 800 very different than the old HD 800
Jun 28, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #346 of 425
I wasn't aware that there was an option of using a DM BAX EQ with Audirvana Plus. I have both the DM Source and use Audirvana Plus, but didn't really bother much with EQ. Because it's so neutral and natural, you hear everything in the mix with proper kick. The kick lasts for perfect time. Not too short so it's unsatisfying and not too long that it kills the attack of the next note. Dangerous got me sold on their hardware, not to mention they are supreme with HD800.

As far as basshead goes: DM Source + HD800 by a decent margin > something like LCD-3 + BHA-1

Jun 29, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #347 of 425
  I wasn't aware that there was an option of using a DM BAX EQ with Audirvana Plus. I have both the DM Source and use Audirvana Plus, but didn't really bother much with EQ. Because it's so neutral and natural, you hear everything in the mix with proper kick. The kick lasts for perfect time. Not too short so it's unsatisfying and not too long that it kills the attack of the next note. Dangerous got me sold on their hardware, not to mention they are supreme with HD800.

As far as basshead goes: DM Source + HD800 by a decent margin > something like LCD-3 + BHA-1

I probably wasn't clear, about the BAX EQ I'm using, it's a DPS plugin, A+ has the ability to use various plugin formats, VST/UAD2 etc. The UAD2 stuff is practically the same as the hardware.

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #348 of 425
Yeah I figured it out on the DM site. Gonna explore it more. Thanks for the find.

Officially peaked my interest. I might just have to get this. It looks sweet.

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #350 of 425

Honoured to scratch your OCD itch!

Sometimes I wonder if we're all mad :D

lol yeah I might get it for Audirvana Plus. Nowadays I'm not into mixing or doing projects, so I just use my more casual Macbook Pro and iMacs which have Audirvana Plus and other casual apps. No need to bring out the powerhouse towers with Ableton, Logic, Maschine and Reason. Back then I used to run a lot of my music through plugins stored on those DAWs.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the new Audirvana Plus could utilize these audio units.

I always hear people suggest using EQs to make the sound fit more of your needs, but I nearly always suggest avoiding EQs because not all EQs are made equally. Different curves and timing errors. 9/10 it will fix one problem and create another, even if it's subtle. A lot of people make music and at the end run them through console boards just to get that polished sound because of their vintage circuitry house sound.

Dangerous has really impressed me, so I might have to try their EQ, otherwise I'd usually just try to fix the problems with other macro hardware like amps.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your BAX eq?

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #351 of 425
lol yeah I might get it for Audirvana Plus. Nowadays I'm not into mixing or doing projects, so I just use my more casual Macbook Pro and iMacs which have Audirvana Plus and other casual apps. No need to bring out the powerhouse towers with Ableton, Logic, Maschine and Reason. Back then I used to run a lot of my music through plugins stored on those DAWs.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the new Audirvana Plus could utilize these audio units.

I always hear people suggest using EQs to make the sound fit more of your needs, but I nearly always suggest avoiding EQs because not all EQs are made equally. Different curves and timing errors. 9/10 it will fix one problem and create another, even if it's subtle. A lot of people make music and at the end run them through console boards just to get that polished sound because of their vintage circuitry house sound.

Dangerous has really impressed me, so I might have to try their EQ, otherwise I'd usually just try to fix the problems with other macro hardware like amps.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your BAX eq?

Hey sorry about the delayed response. UAd2 plugins are exclusive to universal audio apollo series audio interfaces. You get a lot of tone shaping plugins there. Lately I've been enjoying the Mannley EQ. Folks who've A/B'd the hardware and plugin claim them to be identical tonally. Hope that answers your question. I don't have any DM hardware.

I don't know what it is exactly but my apollo twin & HD800 combo just keeps getting better, I'm using the plugins less and less. I'm getting tons of bass that is very detailed. I can't imagine the lehmann improving things much. I'll have to wait and see.

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #354 of 425
I just got a pair of HD800 serial number 38625, a current production. I have experienced with multiple HD800s in the past since the days they were just available, I never liked them because of the HF and lack of bass. I know Sennheiser has tweaked the sound signature over the year I decided to give it a tried again because I get a brand new pair for under $1150 from a dealer and I could not pass up the deal. After I opened the box and today, I injected some pink noise to HD800 for about one hour and gave it a tried just for fun and also make sure they are not defective. I was shocked by these stock HD800 with only one hour of use that most of my biases about HD800 has gone away. These HD800 do bass, I mean the housing of the headphone vibrates when bass note hits! I never experienced with earlier HD800s with the same sound track. The HF is not ultra smooth right now but no where near as bad have experienced before. I was using a pair of LCD-2 and Shure SE846 before this new HD800 by the way.  I can't wait to reevaluate them once burn-in and with aftermarket cables. 

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #355 of 425
Congratulations. I had a similar experience. I auditioned a pair along with three other big name headphones. I found them very disappointing.  Great imaging but the lack of bass really saddened me. I sent them back and ordered one of the others. Just so happen it arrived with a crooked frame. I sent them back and decided to go for the 800's. I was just ready for a different sound in my home. A choice that brought me my end game headphones. I was amazed and could not believe the difference between the two. I wrote Sennheiser and asked why such a difference. But, if you want to know what they said write them yourself. It's pretty unbelievable.

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #357 of 425
@Seamaster, can you share to us your FR graph from senn?

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #358 of 425
  @Seamaster, can you share to us your FR graph from senn?

That will take some time. I don't really believe those graphs because once the headphones have been used for so many hours that graph is going to be different than they measured at factory.

Norne Draug 2 is on the way, ho dear, my wallet hates me this month. At this rate I don't think I need any mod to damp the driver. The headphones I have personally had so far are HD650, DT880 (original version), T-1, LCD-2 V1, Airbow SC21, and Shure SE846. Of course I have hear others as well at friends' places such as Stax SR-009 and LCD3. The new HD800's tonal signature is a hair warmer than my SE846 (with standard blue filters) as a whole that really surprise me. The down side: the new HD800 seems have smaller sound stage compare to the old ones, but I think the new ones are much more natural this way.

Jul 6, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #359 of 425
Just another vote to claim this phenomenon is real. I had an early HD 800 that I eventually sold due to not tolerating the treble spike (and it could use more bass, but that didn´t bother me as much). Well, I got a great deal for a HD800/HDVD800 combo from a local Sennheiser dealer and while I am using a different amp this time, these sound markedly different compared my my previous pair. Same thing as others have mentioned here: more bass and less spiky treble at the cost of slightly reduced soundstage. I can actually listen to hip-hop with these now.

Hats off to Sennheiser, I´m really liking the way HD 800 sounds now. I just ordered the frequency response chart. Serial number is in the 38k.

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #360 of 425
God dammit guys :/
This can ruin my already ruined budget
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back