New HD-650's suck when new
Dec 23, 2004 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
Yesterday I received my new HD-650’s (Thanks Todd). I hooked them up, and boy are they ever awful. I know, I know, I know, they are not broken in. It’s just that I don’t remember my HD-600’s sucking this much (when new).

They are burning in now. I have heard a burnt in set, and those didn’t suck. The 650’s will be my secondary phones. My K1000’s still hold top honors.

Dec 23, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 16
I thought they were quite nice straight out of the box.

Dec 23, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #3 of 16
My experience with HD650s mirrored yours. Even after 150 hours break-in, the sound had not improved enough to warrant keeping them, so back they went.

I think I'm just not a fan of the Senn house sound. My old Beyerdynamic DT990s sound very similar. The Beyers are more comfortable, too, though the Senns aren't bad at all.

I'm currently breaking in a set of AKG K501s, about as different-sounding from the Senns as I can imagine. Bass is weak, but mids and highs seem pretty good, much more "there" than the Senns.

Dec 23, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 16
A set of HD600's that are broken in sound muuuucccch better. They are playing in my bedroom rig all day today. I'll listen again tonight.

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I'm with nierika.

Ime 650 was the least to exhibit any sonic change after break in ... made me wonder whether they were already factory burnt in for customers with drivers matching and all that.

Dec 23, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Ime 650 was the least to exhibit any sonic change after break in ... made me wonder whether they were already factory burnt in for customers with drivers matching and all that.

Golly...I doubt any HD-650 owner has had your experience. Did you get a used one?

From new to close to 250 hours the sound changes as follows :-

Nice...too much bass -> crap - confused sound...nothing sounds right -> hmmm...maybe i'll hang on to these
frown.gif
-> Ok bass is completely gone -> Detail and midrange are bloody incredible -> bass is back!! but not as prominent as before -> unbelievable balance...simply superb!!
cool.gif

You either had old phones or a bunk pair...the changes are more obvious than changing between a grado and a sennheiser or any other headphone...GLARING differences

Dec 23, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
A set of HD600's that are broken in sound muuuucccch better. They are playing in my bedroom rig all day today. I'll listen again tonight.

I had this experience too. The HD600 started out sounding better than the 650 but that soon changed.

Dec 23, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #11 of 16
Mine started out as bassy but OK, became increasingly congested with use, then clarified and settled down. Took time to resolve, but I can vouch for the progressive nature of the HD650 break-in. They improve with use.

That being said, what bothers me about the Senns is the detached quality of the sound, rather as if the music is being "piped in." I'm looking at an aftermarket cable as a possible solution. I'm not knocking the HD650, I just don't seem to hear what I find described in so many posts praising the cans.

BW

Dec 24, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Nice...too much bass -> crap - confused sound...nothing sounds right -> hmmm...maybe i'll hang on to these
frown.gif
-> Ok bass is completely gone -> Detail and midrange are bloody incredible -> bass is back!! but not as prominent as before -> unbelievable balance...simply superb!!
cool.gif

That was, in a way, what I experienced with 595 break in (except the confused sound) - but none on 650. Both brand new, I can tell from the look of that 'twisty' thing and how cables looped up. Weird but it's true.

Dec 24, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Nice...too much bass -> crap - confused sound...nothing sounds right -> hmmm...maybe i'll hang on to these -> Ok bass is completely gone -> Detail and midrange are bloody incredible -> bass is back!! but not as prominent as before -> unbelievable balance...simply superb!!

That is EXACTLY my experience with the 650's. They went from being nice out of the box to a crazy, muddled world (much like my teens), to giving me hope, to being wonderful. But...it took a hellacious number of hours to get from the starting block to the finish line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back