New Guy with a question about PC Audio
May 20, 2011 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Wasper

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a question about my onboard Audio that came with my motherboard (self built system).

Long story short, I enjoy playing computer games (first person shooters) and I was looking to get a decent quality headset. I have been using this Logitech USB headset for years now and it has done the trick, but I'm looking for something more. Now, I'm no audiophile and although I know my way around a computer, I never really got into the audio aspect much. So, I came here for some advice.

Some information to help you, help me, lol.

My motherboard is an Asus Crosshair IV Formula and the audio specs are as follows.

SupremeFX X-Fi built-in 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- EAX® Advanced™ HD 4.0
- X-Fi CMSS®-3D
- X-Fi Crystalizer™
- Creative ALchemy
- Supports Blu-ray audio layer content protection
- Supports 1 Optical S/PDIF out port at back I/O
- Supports 1 x S/PDIF out header
- Supports Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking

Link to Motherboard

Digging around, the actual chip is a Via VT2020. The VT2020, from what I gather, is a special part for Asus only and there are no real specifications to be found (on either Via, Asus or searching the web). But, from researching, it seams the VT2020 is derived from the VT1828S (then tweaked to Asus's standards).

Link to VT1828S  (even though it is not truly an accurate representation.. as I really don't know how Asus tweaked it).

So, basically.. it is a Via chip, derived from a VT1828S, then tweaked by Asus and rebranded as a VT2020 and then has some Creative X-Fi software in the drivers so the user can tweak the sound some (EQ, EAX, CMSS, Crystilizer....). A convoluted mess, lol.

Now, what I did was, I ordered up a Corsair HS1A headset  (seamed to get good reviews) with the intention of using my onboard audio and try to get away from another USB headset. Well, I was not very happy with the outcome. The headset sounded weak, tinny and had almost zero bass. I tried messing with the audio settings , via the X-Fi software, but it only got marginally better.

That is where I stand right now... trying to decide if I should return the headset for something better or if adding a dedicated sound card would help. Since I never really bought a sound card before, I would hate to get all gun-ho , buy one, and be disappointed again. And since this was my first 3.5mm headset purchased, I don't know if I did ok or not in my choice.

Basically I'm trying to see where I stand now with what I got, then move forward from there... I would hate to go the route of a sound card, only to find out it is comprible to what I currently have. Or, go buy another headset to only be in the same boat.

I dont have a large budget and would really like to stay the route of a headset, as apposed to a sepperate headphone/mic deal. I guess the budget for headset would be around the $100-$150 mark and the sound card (if needed) around $75-$100.

I know this thread was all over the place.. but I'm new to the whole audio aspect and I hope you can forgive a newbie like myself.

So, any thoughts, reccomendations, advice..ect. ?

Wasper

May 20, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 9
ahh, good plan.

Now, I don't really have any device (mp3 player ect...) that has a 3.5mm input for the headset to plug into to test this. I do, though, have a Kenwood stereo rack system with amp/equalizer and such. But I believe it has the larger jacks in it.

So, would I need something like this product to test it out? (remember, audio newbie here, lol).

Thanks,
Wasper

May 21, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Hi,

Ok.. I ran the test.

I bought the gold plated 3.5mm to 6.35mm converter

And I plugged the Corsair HS1A's into my older rack system. The Stereo Integrated Amplifier is a Kenwood KA-895 and the Disc player is a Kenwood DP-R895.

Couldn't really find info on it much, but Kenwood still carried the *pdf for the owners manual for the amp. If you are interested, here is the LINK.

Here is a pic (not mine, couldn't find the camera.. but the same system).

I used some CDs that I was familiar with to try through the headphones on the Corsairs. I stared out with the bass/treble knobs at flat.

And, boy, was it flat. Next I played with the bass and there was hardly improvement. I did find that hitting the "Loudness" button on the amp did make it sound better and the bass tones were much warmer (still not that great though). I found that going anything past -30 on the volume would make the headset distort/crackle ( think I said that right.. the volume number goes lower as it gets louder, make sense?).

So, I'm thinking its the headsets ?  What do you think?

I just wanted to make sure this was a valid test.. I know the equipment on my older stereo system is getting long in the tooth and didnt know if it was a good platform to base my conclusions off of. Good enough?

What do you think?

May 22, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 9
Hmmm,

Well then, I guess that answers my question about returning the headset. Now its all about finding something decent to get.

I read a lot about Sennheiser being good (at least that's what they say at my usual haunt.. Eggxpert.com). Now, the corsairs I originally got was with a gift card, if I return them, I get store credit. The store doesn't have that much stuff, but I do see they have a Sennheiser PC 360 set. With the store credit, and whats left on the gift card, the PC 360 would cost me about $125 out of pocket.

Are those headsets any good?, would you pick up a pair if it cost $125?

May 22, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Hmmm,

Well then, I guess that answers my question about returning the headset. Now its all about finding something decent to get.

I read a lot about Sennheiser being good (at least that's what they say at my usual haunt.. Eggxpert.com). Now, the corsairs I originally got was with a gift card, if I return them, I get store credit. The store doesn't have that much stuff, but I do see they have a Sennheiser PC 360 set. With the store credit, and whats left on the gift card, the PC 360 would cost me about $125 out of pocket.

Are those headsets any good?, would you pick up a pair if it cost $125?

If I were you, I'd head over to the "full size headphones" forum with your beverage of choice, and settle in to read the thread called something like "look here first if you're trying to figure out what headphones are for you".

Happy hunting!  Sorry about your wallet.

- Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back