New guy with a new amp!
Mar 21, 2007 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

iPatcH

500+ Head-Fier
So, I just purchased my very first amp for my lovely Grado SR-225s. In fact, it was a nice RA-1 for a very reasonable price to boot. Now, I currently have no fantastical sound card as I use a laptop, so it only has a single headphone in, and the RA-1 happens to have two RCA line-ins in the back. What can I do to properly get them connected together, would a simple headphone line splitter work with male-male cables (like, amp rcas <-> male-male headphone cord <-> headphone line spiltter <-> another male-male <-> laptop), or is there a simple way that I am just overlooking?

Mar 21, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 8
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet!
icon10.gif

You need just 1 cable - something like a QED Qunex J2p for example.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm going to assume that currently you have no choice but to go with what you have at the moment. I say this because feeding your RA-1 from you headphone out on your laptop is far from ideal. What you need is an 1/8" stereo plug that splits into L/R RCA plugs. Easy to build if you're into DIY, otherwise you can go to your local Rat Shack and pick one up. It wouldn't be worth the money to get any kind of high-end cables.

For an upgrade, I recommend a USB DAC to feed your RA-1.

Welcome aboard! You're off to a great start with your amp/headphone combo!

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 8
Welcome to the forum fellow Gradohead!! sorry about your wallet.

Just get a radio shack headphone-to-RCA Y cable. My brother gave me a really nice monster cable one. Physically its really nic eto look at, but sonically I don't think its any better than the $7 job you can get at radio hack.

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #5 of 8
Awesome, thanks for the help guys!

Now, to really improve the quality I'm assuming I'll need a new sound card. Can anyone suggest a good external one to compliment my other hardware? I don't know too much about them...

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Echo Indigo soundcard?

There is a better option as PCMCIA for the same price.

++ for USB DAC if the OP can afford a nice one.

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #8 of 8
Headphonia, Meier Corda, and the Total Bithead are some USB DACs you may consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back