New guy to the forum- HD280-V-moda Vibes-Apple Earbuds
Jan 10, 2007 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Happyprozak

Head-Fier
Ok, so after doing some reading here at the forum I decided to get some v-moda vibes. So my collection of headphones are the Sony PSP included earbuds, the Apple included Earbuds, the Senn HD280, and now the V-moda vibes.

I bought the HD280's a while back really hoping to get a nice improvement over the included apple Earbuds, but the improvement wasn't that noticeable to me. Now I bought the Vibes because of all the praise I heard on them, and I was hoping that at the least they would be as good as the HD280's but so far after a few hours of listening I'm not sure they are.

Now I'll be honest, I'm not an audiophile so maybe that's part of my problem, but the difference in sound quality between all of the headphones I have are small. Even the difference between the included sony earbuds and the Senn HD280 isn't that much to me between. I know that when I first started playing guitar the difference in sound between a cheap 200 dollar guitar and a 1000 dollar guitar wasn't very noticeable to me. Now the difference is huge. Is it the same thing with this audiophile stuff? You get spoiled and then the cheap stuff sounds cheap but until then you don't really notice it?

Or are they headphones I have not really audiophile quality? I'm going to give the Vibes a few more days but I might end up ebaying them or returning them if I can.

Also does anyone have any ideas on a good headphone set for me? I'm looking at headphones that do not isolate (I need to be able to hear the phone ring and people call me), something that isn't heavy and cumbersome so they don't bother me when I'm laying in bed.

Also, the sources for my testing have been my computer, it has a cheap built in audio card, an ipod with variable bit mp3's, and a Sony PSP playing MGS:pO.

Does anyone know if the sound quality coming out of a game on a Sony PSP will be good enough to make it worth using high quality headphones?

And on a side note, when I plug in the Vibe's into my computer I get a hissing noise, but when I plug in the HD280's I don't. Does anyone know why?

Thanks for reading my long post!

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 14
First of all, the hissing you are getting is because of the sensitivity of the Vibes. Put it this way, if you plug in your vibes and your HD280 into your ipod when it is set at 80% volume, you would get louder sound out of the vibes. This is the same with hissing, it's there with the 280, you just can't hear it well.

I'm not surprised that you didn't notice much of a difference to an untrained ear with the 280. They're not headphones that make you go "wow" at all. They are very neutral headphones, with no outstanding features. That being said, I'm sure that with time you'll appreciate the better sound out of both. I personally have the vibe that I use while on the go, and some much more expensive headphones for when I'm at home. I really like the vibe, I find them fun to listen to. They don't really blow me away with the sound quality or anything, but I like them. Again, with a lower priced IEM (In ear monitor) like the vibe, the sound quality gets reduced because of the space savings, relative to the price point. So if you decided to spend that $100 on some full sized headphones, you would probably notice the difference more.

That being said, I would suggest you keep the vibe. They're great, and you'll learn to appreciate them I'm sure. When I first starting listening to better headphones I wasn't really blown away at first. Then as my ears got more accustomed to small differences, switching between different headphones makes a big difference to me. Perhaps you should think about selling your HD280 and picking up a pair of Alessandro MS-1 or Grado SR-60. I get the feeling you would probably really like either of those.

Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 14
Well, I am not sure what you are listening to, and I am not sure how PSP jack sounds, so that kinda makes things a little bit difficult. Some people also never really see the difference big enough to make it worth it for them to spend that much money on a headphone. I spent 400 bucks on a new headphone setup, while my roommate spend 400 bucks on board games...and we both listen to music AND play games avidly.

Vibe is actually very good for its price with portables, so I am not sure how it would work there, and also your ears and how much you pay attention is a big issues. I also started out on a cheap 200 dollar guitar, and now own two 1500 dollar guitars cause they sound very sweet to me, and when beginning I could tell that 1000 dollar guitar sounded better, I just couldn't really tell how much better and why. Now I can point out exact characteristics, so it is partly matter of experience. Although I honestly notice not so major differences between my Ovation Legend and a 5000 dollar martin back at guitar center.

Now, some people pick up a good phone coming from a cheap one and ask 'where is the bass?' for example. And there are alot of similar situations. Truth is, the bass is a different thing on higher end gear, as it is true bass as opposed all the notes between 100 and 200 hz getting a 3-4 db boost, which is bass but not low bass, just low range of mids in a sense. It comes out very punchy, and some people like that, but with many recordings thats not very appropriate. It only sounds good with rock, but trance/techno/jazz/classical benefit from high quality bottom extension. (down to 20 hz, which is the low range of your hearing). 220 hz happens to be the low A on guitar, which just demonstrates the non-bass reality of the bass on most headphones/speakers that are not considered audiophile. You should really try and listen to what difference the extension down to 9 hz makes with the vibe, pull up something nice like gorillaz - clint eastwood, the bassline will be crisp and roaring. Otherwise what happens in the mid/upper range should be relatively obvious, high frequency is usually responsible for detail. Compare how realistic the guitar sounds through the vibe vs your sonys.

Next issue that occurs is the quality of what you are playing back. On psp games I do not expect much difference, there is an issue of space there so compression is popular. If you are playing mp3s below 192 khz bitrate, same issue occurs, as the low and upper range gets lost and there is nothing for a high quality headphone to do with that extension, and the difference in the midrange alone is not enough to make up for it. The quality of the source also matters, but not really with the vibe.

Hiss issue = 60 hz hum. PSP runs off batteries, which is DC current. Computer runs of 60 hz AC current, which is not always properly rectified and and shielded agains (read: converted to direct curent), and there are noise artifacts left over. Most higher quality audiocards solve that issue through internal magnetic shielding, but at the moment I am guessing you are using the onboard card which will hiss like a cobra depending on the headphone you are using. You can get speakers to reproduce the same issue no problem.

Jan 10, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 14
Hey and welcome to Headfi! I also own the HD280s and don't find them to be that impressive. They work better amped but you will still find the headphones very neutral. I would suggest picking up a pair of SR60s for $69 new and giving those a shot. The SR60s are the first headphones I've noticed a significant sound quality improvement over the regular stocked iBuds. Hope that helps!

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hiss issue = 60 hz hum. PSP runs off batteries, which is DC current. Computer runs of 60 hz AC current, which is not always properly rectified and and shielded agains (read: converted to direct curent), and there are noise artifacts left over. Most higher quality audiocards solve that issue through internal magnetic shielding, but at the moment I am guessing you are using the onboard card which will hiss like a cobra depending on the headphone you are using. You can get speakers to reproduce the same issue no problem.

Then why can you still hear a hiss with sensitive IEM on pretty much any source, including battery powered options? Unfortunately sir, a 60HZ AC PSU isn't the culprit.

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate them.

I think I might keep the Vibes as I'm likeing them more and more as I use and compare them to my other stuff. One of my problems right now is that they feel itchy after a while, is this common? Also, how securely should these go into my ear?

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Now the difference is huge. Is it the same thing with this audiophile stuff? You get spoiled and then the cheap stuff sounds cheap but until then you don't really notice it?

Well said; the sensible thing to do is run while you can.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 14
personally, i think a lot of what you're hearing - or not hearing - comes down to source and experience. as you step up the performance of one part of the audio chain then the other pieces should be upgraded as well. listening from your "cheap built in audio card" is hardly ideal. the vibes are good enough to warrant a good source. out of my tiny cowon f2 DAP - no hiss and wonderful sounding music.

i say "experience" because your ears will adjust. you'll notice more detail and how the sound spectrum is presented the more you listen.

my little roland battery powered amp might be great for on the go practicing but i doubt that i'm getting the best sound from my G&L S-500 plugged into it, ay?
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happyprozak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate them.

I think I might keep the Vibes as I'm likeing them more and more as I use and compare them to my other stuff. One of my problems right now is that they feel itchy after a while, is this common? Also, how securely should these go into my ear?

I have had itchiness occassionally too but I think it is mostly getting used to silicon in your ear. You should find that less of an issue going forward.

Deep and secure is my experience with the Vibes. That maximises isolation and tightens up the sound. (You will never be fully isolated because of the port.) Use a tip large enough that you can wedge it right in and it holds securely (which for most people is apparently the small tip; for me it's the medium) but you should also be able to lie on a flat surface with the Vibes almost fully flush within your ear. That's my experience anyway after a couple of months. I'm still playing around.

I think that you'll enjoy the Vibes.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my little roland battery powered amp might be great for on the go practicing but i doubt that i'm getting the best sound from my G&L S-500 plugged into it, ay?
evil_smiley.gif

**Off topic**

Would that be a MicroCube? Those things ROCK! Try plugging it into a larger cab sometime. You'll be amazed at the sound you can get out of that little thing!

Sorry for the interruption. Back to the topic at hand.

**off**

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
**Off topic**

Would that be a MicroCube? Those things ROCK! Try plugging it into a larger cab sometime. You'll be amazed at the sound you can get out of that little thing!

Sorry for the interruption. Back to the topic at hand.

**off**

yeah, it's quite an impressive little bugger!
cool.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 14
My experience so far with headphones have been unimpressive at first. I started out back 5 years ago with some cheap Panasonics I purchased at a local Circuit City. They were closed design and suietd me well while I was in college. I found the sound quality to be great (yea yea, it was a while back and I didn't even know about high end headphones yet) and used it up until Summer of 2006.

Over the summer, I was using speakers, but as each night went by, my parents complained about the bass pounding away onto the 1st floor of my house. So here's where my headphone journey began.

I was unemployed and didn't have much money to spend, and after a considerable amount of online research, settled on Sennheiser HD595's. I ran them straight out of my Audigy 2 card the same way I ran the Panasonics. I put them on and was very (let me stress this again, very) underwelmed. There was no bass punch and everything sounded about the same as the cheapo Panasonics I had for 4 years. After the break-in period of the HD595's, the bass was plentiful and I began to realize they sounded pretty good. So after listening to the HD595's for about a month, I finally decided to compare the 2 headphones and see if my initial assumption was still valid.

After a few songs, it was clear that the HD595's were far superior to the Panasonics. The there was more frequency extension for both the low and high spectrum. The bass hit deeper and there was low bass that the Panasonics simply ignored. The sound felt "fuller" and gave a much better representation of the music. It took me a bit of time for my ears to adjust to all the benefits the HD595's brought and am glad I didn't just dismiss them and stick to using my Panasonics. =T

Over Christmas, my sister bought me the AKG K701's as a gift. They are totally different than the HD595's. I won't get into details as to how they are different, but I have to agree that experience is very important. Don't dismiss your gear because you initially don't hear much of a difference. Give it some time and then go back and compare. If you pay attention while you listen, you'll notice the differences.

Have fun with your phones and welcome to Head-fi.

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #14 of 14
Yea, and all I had to do was get her Elebits for her Wii. =] I love uneven trades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back