new guy, seeking out answers
Sep 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Kevin Rodriguez

New Head-Fier
hey guys, i just made my account & i came here looking for guidance i listen to hip/hop, rap, & pop and i heard the V moda M 100's are the best for that kind of music but im interested in the sennheiser momentum's because of there clarity and detail, i wanted to know how the momentums would do with hip/hop music.? which one would be best for me.? if neither of these are best for me please tell me which one are, also im looking for a wide sound stage, my max price range is 400$ US.! thanks 

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 16
Hello!

I have only tested the Momentum and I find them to be lacking soundstage so you might want to look into something else! Have you looked into the AKG K167or PSB M4U1? They both offer wide soundstage as a closed headphones

hope it helps!
Billson :)

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 16
Not to be rude to Billson because he's a headfier I respect and recognize as a big help to many 'young' headfiers, but I don't think hip-hop and rap are really recorded and mastered with subtleties like 'sound-stage' in mind.

As a side note, I actually really quite enjoy Michael Jackson on my Momentums, although a lot of his music is mastered rather well. The soundstage isn't huge, but well poised. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 16
  hey guys, i just made my account & i came here looking for guidance i listen to hip/hop, rap, & pop and i heard the V moda M 100's are the best for that kind of music but im interested in the sennheiser momentum's because of there clarity and detail, i wanted to know how the momentums would do with hip/hop music.? which one would be best for me.? if neither of these are best for me please tell me which one are, also im looking for a wide sound stage, my max price range is 400$ US.! thanks 

Heya,

How about you give more details as to your usage, such as the device you're playing music from, your need for portability (or not), if you're willing to tote a portable amplifier (if needed) or not, and especially whether or not you are looking for a neutral/reference sound, or if you're looking for something fun and bassy (not hi-fi). Also, what quality music are you playing back (is this variable bitrate MP3, iTunes stuff, YouTube rips, etc). Then we can guide you better on how to spend $400.

Very best,

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 16
very good point Greq, i would have to agree with you but wont high end headphones that offer good " sound-stage" make hip-hop songs sound like " sound-stage " was considered when making the song.? or would this not be possible?  

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 16
  very good point Greq, i would have to agree with you but wont high end headphones that offer good " sound-stage" make hip-hop songs sound like " sound-stage " was considered when making the song.? or would this not be possible?  

Heya,

Regardless of the genre being spoken of, something with proper/good sound stage ability and imaging will simply re-produce what was already recorded. If the recording lacked sound staging, it's not going to magically appear. This is often found in a lot of electronically produced music where there's no microphone involved and actually just digitally made, mastered and replicated. It can have an interesting effect added digitally by creating perceived distance from the listening point to the audio with emulation and encoding with some software, and they do this sometimes, especially when mixing in vocals.

But let's not get into the whole "high end headphones" making something without much sound stage suddenly having sound stage that didn't already represent itself on any other headphone.

Very best,

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 16
sorry for the lack of details MalVeauX, style is of no importance to me and i plan on using an Iphone 5 with the headphones at all times, in the future i plan on buying a proper Amp but for now a iphone 5 will have to do, i dont need a portable headphone i listen to my music at home, i buy all my music off of " iTunes " And the best description that i can give on regards of what kind of headphones i want would be, not something with too much bass, i am not a "BassHead" just enough bass to flow harmoniously with the hip/hop genre of music, also good detail and clarity with good "  wide sound stage " something fun to listen to NONE fatiguing, just a headphone that i would be able to listen to for hours with out my ears hurting.! also what does neutral/reference sound actually mean.? sorry for the lack of knowledge. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 16
  sorry for the lack of details MalVeauX, style is of no importance to me and i plan on using an Iphone 5 with the headphones at all times, in the future i plan on buying a proper Amp but for now a iphone 5 will have to do, i dont need a portable headphone i listen to my music at home, i buy all my music off of " iTunes " And the best description that i can give on regards of what kind of headphones i want would be, not something with too much bass, i am not a "BassHead" just enough bass to flow harmoniously with the hip/hop genre of music, also good detail and clarity with good "  wide sound stage " something fun to listen to NONE fatiguing, just a headphone that i would be able to listen to for hours with out my ears hurting.! also what does neutral/reference sound actually mean.? sorry for the lack of knowledge. 

Heya,

Neutral/reference, refers to the frequency response being flat, linear. This is typical of hi-fi since the word high fidelity literally means replication, and a linear response is how you replicate what was recorded.

Sounds to me like you're looking for headphones like these:

Closed back, for isolation:

AKG K267
Denon D600
AudioTechnica A900X
Sony MDR1R

Open air, for sound stage:

Sony MA900
Beyer DT880 32ohm
AudioTechinca AD900X
Philips Fidelio X1
Hifiman HE-300

Very best,

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 16
Not to be rude to Billson because he's a headfier I respect and recognize as a big help to many 'young' headfiers, but I don't think hip-hop and rap are really recorded and mastered with subtleties like 'sound-stage' in mind.

As a side note, I actually really quite enjoy Michael Jackson on my Momentums, although a lot of his music is mastered rather well. The soundstage isn't huge, but well poised. 

I actually agree with you! but since the OP wanted something with wide soundstage, I suggested him/her the PSB M4U1 and AKG K167 :)

I prefer AKG K167 more for hip hop/rap but the AKG K267 is elder brother of AKG K167 which supposely to sound better and since your budget allow it!

If the OP is willing to forget about the wide soundstage Idea, I will second Momentum!

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 16
what are your thoughts about the AKG550 for my music taste? how do the 550's compare to the V moda & the AKG 167 & 267..?

The K550 have fitting problem. If you have big head, it shouldn't be a problem. If you can't achieve good seal, the sound will be rather thin and rolled off bass sound. Very weak in short but if you can achieve good seal, that's a completely different story! You get deep, tight sub bass and smooth mids with super high clarity. In my opinion, the K550 are more reference sounding in comparison

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #14 of 16
I actually agree with you! but since the OP wanted something with wide soundstage, I suggested him/her the PSB M4U1 and AKG K167
smily_headphones1.gif

I prefer AKG K167 more for hip hop/rap but the AKG K267 is elder brother of AKG K167 which supposely to sound better and since your budget allow it!

If the OP is willing to forget about the wide soundstage Idea, I will second Momentum!

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah the K167 - that's one headphone I really like and keep forgetting to recommend. 
Not sure why it doesn't get more recommends. Maybe not enough people have heard it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back