New Guy. Pro Copper Advanced. Need help
Dec 18, 2011 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

randomname

New Head-Fier
Hello guys !

I've joined basically to ask this question.

Up until now I've been your regular Apple headphones user but I'm a big music lover and after around 8 years of being "into business" and buying lots of 50-100$s I'm finally ready to make the step into buying myself some real headphones. 

My music taste is pretty eclectic, but the majority would be electronica (minimal-techno, house, electro general EDM), soul, pop, indie rock, ambiental, jazz, etc. so my priority would be a BALANCED sound, not bass, as clear and bright as possible, studio-like quality (to a certain extent and budget of course). Budget would be in 300-450$.

After studying the market I'm pretty much settled on the Monster Turbine Pro Copper (with ControlTalk). I see there is also a Copper Advanced, is it any difference to the normal Copper or is it just the ControlTalk ?
The headphones will be an investment, so I would like to keep them for as long as possible. I read that you get a Copper replacement if they break, is it true ?

These will also be my first In-Ear headphones. I didn't want to buy in-ear because sometimes when I go to bed I like to jam some 20-30 minutes session to help me sleep and it's a pain when you put your head on the pillow :) But I am ready to sacrifice this for great audio quality.

For those who have been in the game for much longer, how is your hearing ? I can't say I'm complaining that I'm going deaf, but nowadays I like to listen my music on a 40-60% volume capacity, just to be sure. I'm pretty sure isolation of IEM help a lot to keep a low volume and still enjoy the music, right ? I will be using them outdoors mostly.

I will be using the headphones with a 6th generation iPod Nano and some occasional iPhone 4S, that is why I want the ControlTalk feature.

Most importantly, I would be making the purchase of late February at earliest, so if new models/better come out I'm open to other suggestions. Design is also pretty important to me, not a deal-breaker, but some of the headphones are ugly, I know for most audiophiles don't matter but that's me.

I appreciate your help and thanks in advance.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 6
Make sure you get them from an authorized Monster dealer so you get the lifetime warranty. The Coppers have been plagued by build quality issues. I guess there's a "bad batch" or two out there where the two halves of the earphone will just separate after a while - they didn't use a strong enough adhesive or something. Same thing happened to mine.

Monster will replace them for life should something go wrong, and there's a one-time "you break it, we'll replace it anyway" guarantee. There is no difference between the two Copper versions regarding SQ. I've never even heard of an "advanced" Copper.

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 6
Yeah, the Coppers are great, but you say your budget is around 300 - 450, you can start to get really good stuff there. 450 is some serious cash, and although I am thorougly impressed with the Coppers, i wouldnt pay full retail on them, especially when you can get Earsonics SM3, Westone 3, JVC Fx700, Sony XBA 4, etc. Luckily i got my Coppers at a great deal, but i even find my Triple Fi 10 to sound better overall, looks like alot more research for you : D

As for the volume thing, yes, IEM's will help you block noise so you don't have to crank your music to 60 % but you can still hurt your ears if you listen to them too loudly. The fact that they sit so close inside your ear, you should still control yourself and not listen too loudly or too long either. In the meantime, since this is your first big purchase, can you find a store or other head fiers willing to let you try the more expensive iems out there? With the fit, the right ear tips, and how personal an iem can sound to ppl, its better you try them out, even after reading all the reviews out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back