New guy looking for some help
Jul 6, 2011 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

SkitZ0

100+ Head-Fier
I apologize in advance for the long reading to the lazy readers.

I just joined the forums literally two seconds ago because I have an addiction to expensive headphones, but I don't want to keep buying a pair, breaking them (though I haven't broken my current pair yet :D), and then having to search for another pair of cans.  I started wanting better headphones in high school because the bus ride to and from school would annoy the living hell out of me.  I couldn't stand hearing a bunch of idiots arguing about the same stupid stuff over and over again, and yell like they're on a playground.

Just to share a bit of information on what I have and what I'm looking for, I currently own two headphones.

The first pair of headphones I bought recently (and by that, I mean September 2010) were a pair of cheap, $20 JVC "Stereo" Headphones from Walmart.  At the time, I really enjoyed them.  They were very loud and had a lot of bass....enough that I could feel it.  But my 19th birthday rolled around and I picked up a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40fs studiophones expecting them to be louder on my iPod Classic.

In short, they weren't, but I seriously can't believe how clear they are.  These are my first pair of headphones that normally run over $100 MSRP (though I got them for $56 :D), so I honestly had no clue what to expect when I bought them and the adapter, but I am pleased with the surprise I got.  I've played some of my songs literally hundreds of times, according to iTunes, but hearing them through the Audio Technica's made me hear sounds I had NEVER heard before in any pair of cans I've used over the past three years.

But my current wants have changed.  Though I do consider my hearing when I play my music loud (sorta :p), I still want to have cans that are as loud as the JVC's, but sound like the Audio Technica cans. 

So what I'm really looking for is someone to help me understand the technical aspects of headphones and to guide me to a pair that may be suitable for what I want, if possible.  In case you are reading this and are unaware of responses of my headphones, the JVCs' are 10Hz - 22K Hz  and the Audio Technica's are 5Hz - 28K Hz.  What I was thinking when I bought the M40's was they would have an insane bass response compared to the JVC's, even though the JVC's are louder.

What I'm thinking is, the JVC's are louder because the iPod Classic (and my Macbook) can actually provide enough juice to power the headphones, while they cannot for my M40's, but again, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the technical specs of headphones, so I have no concrete reasoning as to why one pair is louder than the other.  I also don't understand why the JVC's have bass that make my ears vibrate, but the M40's don't have as much.  It's not a bad thing, but sometimes I would love to hear a lot of bass.

But the main point of me wanting something else is, I'm looking for a set of cans that are as loud as the JVC's, but clear like the M40's (assuming such a set exists :p).  They also need to have a 3.5mm (1/8") plug for my iPod, and can't allow a lot of sound-leakage since I tend to use them on shuttles and in class (when appropriate, of course :wink: ) while I'm in college.  In other words, they MUST be close-canned.  I wish I could buy a pair of open cans (I saw some Sennheiser HD555's for a few bucks above $100....I cry because I can't get them :'( ), but I can't have that much sound-leakage since I love to play my music very loud, and I also want to block out the outside as much as possible.

One of the cans I have been looking at are the Ultrasone DJ1 cans that are about $120 on Amazon.  Their response is about the same as my JVC's, so I worry that they'll sound just like them (a bit muddy and distort at high levels), so I'm hesitant to consider them my next pair of cans.  I would greatly appreciate if anyone with any headphone knowledge at all could steer me in the right direction.  Also, if possible, it would be great for them to be able to suffice as DJ headphones so I don't have to buy two pairs of cans at high prices.

Another question is (though I think I may have to make another thread about this somewhere else) how is the Numark NS7?  I'm on the fence on whether or not I want to take a crack at DJ'ing because of the very-high price for the equipment I want, but I would love to hear from anyone that has used an NS7 and their thoughts of it.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 13
Oh, one more thing.....

Please.....PLEASE!! do NOT suggest me earbuds.  I hate them with a passion, and I'm looking for a pair of over-ear headphones.  And if anyone suggests Beats by Dre headphones....may God help you.  and if this also helps, I mainly listen to Trance, Hardstyle, House.....mainly music with melody and bass.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 13
Yeah too much wordz.... even though I'm a english Major

List these:
Price
Use of cans
Music preference
If any amps and your sources (ipod, computer, vinyl)
Your current viewings
What is important to you as a headphone.

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 13
I actually did state what you wanted to know towards the bottom, but I'll say it again.

Price:  anything below $200, but preferably below $150
Type of music:  House, Trance, Hardstyle, Dubstep, Drum & Bass 
Use of cans: Portable, but I don't really care if they're meant to be portable or not.  I'm using M40's as "portable" cans
Amps:  None
Current Viewings:  Ultrasone DJ1 headphones, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro
What is important:  Loud, clear, blocks out sound, low sound leakage.  It doesn't matter to me if there's a little bit, but open-air headphones are strictly a "NO!!!", and 1/4" plugs are also a "NO!!"

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

What I'm thinking is, the JVC's are louder because the iPod Classic (and my Macbook) can actually provide enough juice to power the headphones, while they cannot for my M40's, but again, I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to the technical specs of headphones, so I have no concrete reasoning as to why one pair is louder than the other.  I also don't understand why the JVC's have bass that make my ears vibrate, but the M40's don't have as much.  It's not a bad thing, but sometimes I would love to hear a lot of bass.

Pretty much! Impedence and sensitivity determines how much juice it takes to drive a headphone - higher sensitivity and lower impedence means less power is needed. If you like the sound of your m40, and just want it louder, you could get a small portable amp.

For the genre's you listed the DJ1 should be perfect (look up reviews of the HFI-580), and I don't think I've ever heard Ultrasones called muddy, no worries. If you want something more balanced sounding, but with a decent bass boost, you could try an M50.

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

Pretty much! Impedence and sensitivity determines how much juice it takes to drive a headphone - higher sensitivity and lower impedence means less power is needed. If you like the sound of your m40, and just want it louder, you could get a small portable amp.

For the genre's you listed the DJ1 should be perfect (look up reviews of the HFI-580), and I don't think I've ever heard Ultrasones called muddy, no worries. If you want something more balanced sounding, but with a decent bass boost, you could try an M50.

Thanks for your help.  I was thinking of trying out the M50's since they seem like an upgrade from the M40's I'm using right now, but from what I saw, the responses are lower.  Can you explain what the responses mean?  For example, the M40's I got now are 5Hz - 28K Hz.  I noticed that my Sennheiser HD205's with....I think 14Hz, doesn't have as much kick as the JVC with 10Hz, but the M40's with 5Hz don't have much kick either, but they do sound soooooo much better.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
Thanks for your help.  I was thinking of trying out the M50's since they seem like an upgrade from the M40's I'm using right now, but from what I saw, the responses are lower.  Can you explain what the responses mean?  For example, the M40's I got now are 5Hz - 28K Hz.  I noticed that my Sennheiser HD205's with....I think 14Hz, doesn't have as much kick as the JVC with 10Hz, but the M40's with 5Hz don't have much kick either, but they do sound soooooo much better.

It means absolutely nothing, it's just marketing weirdness. If you're looking for bass kick you want a headphone with a lot in the 200hz and under frequency range - Headroom is good for this, it doesn't tell you exactly what a headphone is going to sound like, but you can get a basic idea. You can see the boost the m50 and hfi-580 have compared to the more neutral Sony V6:

Also, here's a good comparison of them.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 13

Damn are u writing an essay or something? lol
Don't worry about the specs, the only specs you should pay attention to is the impendance. 
Friendly warning, if you like dupstep/trance whatever, you are not going to get the the club feeling out of a headphone, although based on ur age I hope you havent been there yet. 

It's to my understanding that you are looking for a bassy one. The Sennheiser HD25 seems suitable for your looking. Insane bass( loud? ) decent mids and hights.... I only tried'em on for a brief moment since I'm not into something too bassy, but the initial impression was pretty good. The build quality of them shouldn't be a problem, i've owned many Sennheiser product they all build like a tank. They are light and comfortable. The other thing is that they are really stylish if you pick up the Adidas version and don't mind being a walking ads and being the cool kid who is not wearing the Beats lol.  Check em out, I believe they can be obtained at much cheaper price than Amazon listed them so. 
A close rival is the Shure SRH 840/940

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Damn are u writing an essay or something? lol
Don't worry about the specs, the only specs you should pay attention to is the impendance. 
Friendly warning, if you like dupstep/trance whatever, you are not going to get the the club feeling out of a headphone, although based on ur age I hope you havent been there yet. 

It's to my understanding that you are looking for a bassy one. The Sennheiser HD25 seems suitable for your looking. Insane bass( loud? ) decent mids and hights.... I only tried'em on for a brief moment since I'm not into something too bassy, but the initial impression was pretty good. The build quality of them shouldn't be a problem, i've owned many Sennheiser product they all build like a tank. They are light and comfortable. The other thing is that they are really stylish if you pick up the Adidas version and don't mind being a walking ads and being the cool kid who is not wearing the Beats lol.  Check em out, I believe they can be obtained at much cheaper price than Amazon listed them so. 
A close rival is the Shure SRH 840/940

I was trying to provide alotta info so people who can help me can have an easier time doing so, but I think I did the opposite :p

To 200p:
I have no clue what that chart means.  I'm a bit of a noob and can't really tell anything from anything unless I'm hearing the headphones for myself.  Mind sparing a few to explain it to me?

& to Bruc:

While I appreciate your suggestion, those type of headphones aren't what I'm looking for.  There a bit too expensive and I personally don't like on-ear headphones.  I always have an issue getting them to sit right, and the last pair I had were horrid when it comes to comfort........then again those were noise-canceling headphones.  What I'm looking for is a set of cans that could serve as a pair of DJ headphones, assuming I can save up the 1300 bucks I need for a Numark NS7, and idk if the M40fs I have now would suffice as DJ cans.

& no, I haven't been to a rave or a festival.......yet.

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 13
I ♥ you taste in music!

Drum&Bass/Trance/Dubstep/Dance
DELICIOUSNESS

Anyways, I have the M50s, they would fit well in your preference, looking for a bass-type headphone
They do have clamp when out of the box, so stretch them out (I used the retail box)

Since you have the M40s, guess these are an upgrade anyhow.

PS. The pads..... U need to replace them once they worn out, so yea Just to let you know

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 13
Shure is over ear and they have a DJ version of the headphone and similar price as the M50. Search around they are the new favo entry level phones. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 13
I second the HFI-580/DJ1 for your preferences (electronic). Ultrasone are undeniably the kings of that genre.

I have a review of the HFI-580 if you need it. In my sig :)

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks to everyone that replied and tried to help me make a decision.  I think I'll give the Ultrasone's a chance since some of you state how they're perfect for the music I listen to.

But I don't think I'll ditch the M40's.  I still love these :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back