New guy looking for an RCA switcher
Dec 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BenEnglish

New Head-Fier
Short version: 

Can anyone recommend a good quality passive 4-into-2 switchbox for RCA connectors?

Long version:

I'm new to the forum and new to semi-serious headphone listening.  I got tired of the obviously muddy sound of my Audio-technica ATH-AD700 phones plugged directly into the audio-out analog port of my motherboard.  As a result, I bought some bottom-of-the-line Audioquest wires, a Schiit Loki, a Schiit Vali, and a set of Hifiman HE-300 headphones.  To use the Loki DAC, which requires DSD files, I also bought HQPlayer software for my Linux computer which allows me to convert FLAC files to DSD on the fly before sending them to the DAC via DoP.

This new setup, needless to say, is a huge improvement in every way.  Except one: convenience.

I bought this stuff more or less as an experiment.  I didn't realize how much I'd like it and that I'd want it all to become a permanent part of my setup.  Due to my silly oversight, then, I find that I'm out of luck when trying to play from other sources.  HQPlayer, for example, won't play MP3s.  I have to plug my headphones back directly into the motherboard analog out to listen to MP3s or Youtube or games or any other sounds produced by my computer.  I need a switcher so that I can listen to everything without unplugging and re-plugging cables.

Going further, I'd like to hook up my old FM tuner and use it.  Someday, a dedicated video source component may enter the picture.  Also, the future may hold a pair of active desktop speakers for those rare occasions when I'd like to move around the room.

If I add up all that, I could solve my problems with an RCA switcher with at least 3 but preferably 4 inputs.  More would not be a negative.  They all come with 1 but I'd prefer 2 outputs.  I can't imagine needing more than 2 outputs; I don't plan on a/b testing components.

I commenced some online research.  There seems to be an endless number of crappy little plastic boxes on eBay for under USD$30, sometimes under USD$10.  At the other end of the spectrum, I found this: http://www.goldpt.com/sw4.html for USD$362.  I can't imagine building something so cheap it would be profitable at the low end of that price range.  I also can't imagine what goes into a simple passive switcher like the Goldpoint that makes it cost more than my amp and DAC combined.

I am, IOW, confused by the plethora of options.

I found one middle-of-the-road option here:  http://www.*************/products/TC-7240.html .  It seems to be about what I need.  However, I know nothing about Beresford and I'm very, very sure that I haven't found all the options.

What good quality 4-(or more)-into-2 switchers are out there?  What are your experiences?  Which are any good?  Does anyone have experience with the Beresford TC-7240 and do you recommend it?

Thanks in advance for any help; I really appreciate it.

Ben

PS - Yes, I used the search function first.  I found several threads with one cheap possibility, several DIY projects, and lots of dead links.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 6
The Goldpoint switch boxes are expensive because their big deal is the quality of their custom designed and made switches and volume attenuators.

What I think you need is a Magni, not a Loki as your DAC. Then you don't have to worry about DSD and conversion software.

Oh, and Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet. 
smile.gif

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 6
  The Goldpoint switch boxes are expensive because their big deal is the quality of their custom designed and made switches and volume attenuators.

What I think you need is a Magni, not a Loki as your DAC. Then you don't have to worry about DSD and conversion software.

Oh, and Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet. 
smile.gif

I sorta understand about the Goldpoints, even though the switcher I linked to has no attenuator to drive up the cost.  In any event, they look very nice but they're clearly overkill for me.

As for the Magni, I considered it.  However, now that I have the Loki running nicely, being fed by conversion software, I'm happy with it.  The sound is great compared to what it replaced.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for your pity.  I have quickly come to understand that getting involved in all this is going to make my wallet cry from time to time.

Do you have a recommendation for a switcher?  The Beresford has at least one satisfied user I was able to find on another forum and, with shipping, is only ~USD$140, so if I don't hear anything for a while, I'll probably take the chance and order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back