New guy here. Looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50's
Jun 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Headph0neNewb

New Head-Fier
Hello all. I have been reading a lot of reviews on the Audio Technica ATH-M50's. The only headphones I have used before this were Sennheiser HD-202's the $40 ish ones. I really like what the M50's seem to offer in the price range. However I have recently been hearing of a balancing issue some people were having? I was looking at the Red LE that released like two months ago. Is the balancing issue a common thing?
  thanks all

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 16
These are an incredible set of headphones for a beginner, or just someone who likes that solid Club sound. They were my first good headphones after many years of cheaper sets, and the headphones that got me into Head-fi. I have not heard of the balance issue, and certainly never had it. Sounds more like a problem with the amplifier or source to me.

Anyway the m50 is a great set of headphones if you love solid bass, and tends to have good quality treble as well. A lot of clarity. Again, especially for something in this price range. They are actually well known to be under priced in a way. You would have to spend several hundred dollars more generally to get something of noticeably better quality. In my opinion of course, that varies here but this is typically a highly respected set of cans. They are also solidly built.

Finally, any set of headphones runs better on a decent amp, but the m50 can be used straight from your source as well which is quite nice. So they are a great first set, or just a wonderful set to have sitting by the computer when you want high quality sound but don't want to mess with your amp setup or break out your high end headphones. And of course they are closed, so they tend not to leak a lot of sound into the room, and do a good job of blocking ambient sound as well while you are listening. Finally, they truly rock with games and movies. I just can't recommend them enough.

Now that I have done this awesome sales job, I admit that I am selling a pair for a buddy of mine. At least as long as they last here, they tend to sell quickly. And that brings up the one bad thing about them, and that is that they tend to clamp fairly tightly. I think this is great because they don't fall off your head so easily. But my friend found them uncomfortable. It's a tight fit usually, and the vinyl pads can make your ears sweaty in warmer weather. I didn't find them so bad, personally, but they are not the best headphones for extremely long term listening in my opinion.

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 16
Oh must also add. Comfort is pretty important. I like to sit for 3-4 hours at a time. I did have a pair of AKG DJ181's. Which I though were pretty good. I just want a solid headphone, good comfort, good bass ( I am a bass head) yet versatile too. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 16
Well, everything you describe is the M50.  Solid and durable, high quality sound, great bass and highs balanced well, $150 new.  Comfort is really up to you.  Some people complain, I never had an issue with them.  They fit really snug, and I liked that because when I was bangin' my head to the rock n' roll, they didn't fall off.  (And when I got up to move around or grab another beer - very long cord if you get the "S" model with the straight cable).

I would also suggest the Denon D2000, but the darn things are so expensive now.  Better sound, especially with Mark Lawton's mods (a must), but not as durable and definitely not as snug.  I consider them the next "big" step up from the M50S, but the M50S is pretty awesome in itself.  It may be all you ever need.

Jun 10, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 16
The only other cans that are really good in that price range are the slightly more expensive Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. Check those out before you make your purchase.

Jun 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
If you haven't bought them yet, hold off unless you are getting a price of $125 or less. The often fluctuate on price.

If you don't mind buying used, I've seen them go for as low as $75 in the for sale / trade forums.

Also, regarding comfort, I find that the top of my head gets a little sore after wearing these for an hour or so, but these are not the only headphones I have experienced this with, so it might just be me.

Also also, I have Shure SRH840 pads on my M50, and I like them a lot better than the stock (but I bought my M50 used, so the stock pads were hard and cracked).

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 16
I didn't like how the M50 sounded with rock and metal. Why not the Q40 instead? 

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 16
I'm really surprised. Normally, the M50 excels with rock/metal. Anyway, I don't know the Q40. Try it out. Part of the fun of Head-fi is trying out cans until you have the ones that work for you.

Anyway, cleaner bass, and better separation etc are typically what you find in more expensive headphones, in my experience. So, I wish you luck.

You may have to consider one cheaper set as your starter set, before you move up. Then move up when you have the cash. That's what I did. I liked the M50 so much, then thought, "What would this be like with tighter bass and more separation?"

And there you go.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
I'm really surprised. Normally, the M50 excels with rock/metal. Anyway, I don't know the Q40. Try it out. Part of the fun of Head-fi is trying out cans until you have the ones that work for you.

Anyway, cleaner bass, and better separation etc are typically what you find in more expensive headphones, in my experience. So, I wish you luck.

You may have to consider one cheaper set as your starter set, before you move up. Then move up when you have the cash. That's what I did. I liked the M50 so much, then thought, "What would this be like with tighter bass and more separation?"

And there you go.

It depends on how you like the rock/metal presentation. We all hear different. 

And...no need to spend lots for a good performing headphone, take the HFI-680 as an example. Its a step up over the M50, if the original poster finds a nice deal on them i really recommend it. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks fellows. The M50's came today. So far I am impressed. The only odd thing (at least to me, since I am new) is that certain symbols ect in the music come across a little louder in certain ears. Is this just the headphones placing them as if you were sitting listening to the music. Other than that I do not notice any balancing issues. Like volume levels seem the same. High hats seem to come through the right ear a little more though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back