New guy from The Great White North
Mar 31, 2014 at 7:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Victorecho

New Head-Fier
New to the forum and still finding my way around. My name is Gary and I have been listening to music for over 50 years. I have a few pairs of headphones ,mostly Sennheiser (HD 414, HD 440, HD 577 ,HD 600 , a couple more I can't remember) also I just bought a Grado SR80 that I am still waiting . I am retired and enjoy rock ,blues and jazz. We have a great local jazz station in Toronto . I sometimes listen to folk and country too.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Hello and welcome.

My Dad's family came from Toronto and I've been over a couple of times. I enjoyed myself: very polite folks and a good hearty breakfast. The Torontonians here tend to have very good taste in gear. I suspect the cold helps people stay in and enjoy their music.

I listen to jazz myself sometimes, mostly older stuff. The jazz station here in Chicago is mixed with some Latin, which would have annoyed me once but now I enjoy the variety.

Ah, Grados and Senns: my third and fourth favorite firms. (There isn't a fifth, so that's high praise.) HD600 is one of the very best--I enjoy it more than their flagship. What do you think of HD414? I'm curious about it and a number of other vintage models.

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 4
I can't lay my hands on the 414's right now but I remember they were very well balanced with nice bright highs. Someone gave them to me as a present and I was surprised that something so light could sound so good.  I would like to try the 424's someday and compare them.  Retirement is great but you have to budget your purchases.  ( That flag of yours is great!)

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 4
At some point, probably with HD600 or HD580, Senn started rolling off the highs.

Thank you for the compliment. Strangely, I've been given a little grief for it by people who mistake it for the rebel flag from the Civil War. :rolleyes: People feel better when I explain that it was Washington's flag at the beginning of the War of Independence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back