New Guitar :D
Mar 26, 2009 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mrdeadfolx

Headphoneus Supremus
So I finally got around to putting a few bucks into my "other" hobby, and bought myself a new guitar. Every time I've ever bought a guitar, I've always kind of pinched pennies, and much like shopping for a car, always had "best bang for the lowest buck" as the main goal. Well, in doing that so many times, I finally came to realize that with all the money I've poured into half-decent guitars, I could have bought the guitar of my dreams. Well, I finally threw my wallet to the wind and went after that perfect (for me) guitar.

My dream guitar has always been a Paul Reed Smith. My dad had a few when I was growing up, and they were so gorgeous but I was never allowed to play them, because the consequences of damaging something that cost my dad 3 grand would not have been worth the pleasure of playing the guitars
tongue.gif

So a couple months ago I came across a Paul Reed Smith Standard 22 at Long & Mcquade for sale at $2000 CAD that retails for $3000 USD, and I snatched it up immediately.
The guitar was only what I wanted at it's core: It was a Paul Reed Smith, and it was made of all mahogany (my preferred guitar wood). Just about everything else had to go. Don't get me wrong, the guitar came stock with great components, but they werent the EXACT ones I'd want on my dream guitar, so I visited my local custom shop, my luthier and I got to discussing what I'd like to change, and by the time I left the only thing original that remained was the bare mahogany body. Here is what it looked like when I saw it last.

BEFORE: (excuse the cellphone pic)
prsold.jpg

Since then, here is the list of changes:

-New paint (from tobacco sunburst to basone black)
-Gotoh locking Magnum tuners w/ black ebony tuning pegs
-Seymour Duncan '59 neck pickup & Seymour Duncan Full Shred bridge pickup
-Granite nut
-New PRS nickel stop tailpiece bridge
-All chrome/gunmetal hardware
-5-way pickup selector switched to 3-way (dual humbucker) with "killswitch"
-All new internal wiring (I am a head-fier after all)

I just got the call to pick it up 2 days ago, and have only been playing it for one day, but all I can say is this is the PERFECT guitar for me, and I couldn't be happier with the results. Everything from the look, to the way it feels in my hands to the tone is bang-on, so hopefully this is my last major guitar purchase for a few years. All the custom work cost about $700, so for $2700 CAD all-in I finally got my dream guitar. Hope you like it
smily_headphones1.gif

AFTER: (again excuse the pic)

IMG_1146.jpg

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 25
That is some really nice stuff, dude. Congratulations!

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. Yes, its a fingerprint magnet, as I found out when i first tried taking a pic, but man is it ever worth it when you break out the polish
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't forget your sunglasses. You'll probably need them when you're done polishing it.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 25
A Musical instrument is a better buy than headphones ...it helps u develop a talent ..even though it costs much more.

love the finish on it....clean it with a microfiber cloth to keep it shinin'

enjoy!

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 25
Guitars need not be expensive to pick up. Though, the "sound" of an electric guitar is defined more by the pickups than any other part of the guitar. The type and quality of wood is like Headphone mods.
biggrin.gif
Even a cheap guitar can sound good with the right pickups. When paying for expensive guitars, you're only paying for craftsmanship, the price of the electronics and quality of wood. That's about it. Lol. Oh and of course, the brand name.

P/S: Love the guitar. Though I don't support PRS anymore.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guitars need not be expensive to pick up. Though, the "sound" of an electric guitar is defined more by the pickups than any other part of the guitar. The type and quality of wood is like Headphone mods.
biggrin.gif
Even a cheap guitar can sound good with the right pickups. When paying for expensive guitars, you're only paying for craftsmanship, the price of the electronics and quality of wood. That's about it. Lol. Oh and of course, the brand name.

P/S: Love the guitar. Though I don't support PRS anymore.

Yes, the pickups and fingers of the guitarist have the biggest effect on the tone from my experience. But other stuff (wood used for body, fretboard, etc.) makes a difference as well.

Beautiful guitar! What kind of amp are you running that through?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back