New Grado SR60e, could be refurbished SR60i ?
May 12, 2015 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Matt-Tracker

New Head-Fier
Hi There !

I went to listen to Grado SR60e's in a Hi-Fi shop and pretty much wanted to bring them home. A big difference as I can remember in regards tod the i's (but memory may get biased over time). The e's sounded a little mellower with better highs and low-end detail. Because the store didn't have a fresh pair I thought I'd look further or come back another time. A few miles farther I came across these same headphones, fresh and sealed. And with a price-deduction of 20 euros ($35). So that was a no-brainer. Bought them straight away. And was happy as can be.

Now comes the me getting confused-part:

I went and tried them at home. And to my surprise. They didn't sound anything the same as the pair in that other store. Not enjoyable at all!

My impression of the fresh pair SR60e (fresh pair):

*Way too much high-end, tinny sounding, ringing even, bass-end was lacking I felt the pair in the other store did not sound this harsh.
*The bass/mid seem to be off a degree to the left with whatever track I played. As if the drivers weren't matched properly.
*I played though my headphone-amp, and through my iphone as I did in the store.

I also figured the hi-fi store had a different room with lots of carpet. So I even pulled a blanket over my head to see if the sound would improve. Not the case.  
Cannot listen to them for more than 15 minuttes (they sound harsh).

My Two questions:

1. Is this normal for a fresh pair of SR60 e's or do I have a monday-morning pair and should I bug the store for an exchange?
I do not like to saddle up the store with an opened box, so I thought I;d ask for advice first.

1. Could it be, that stores outside the US, get boxes and stickers from Grado/US, and instructions how to modify existing/dead-stock 60i's to convert them and then sell them as "new 60e's"?

(I get pretty paranoia when it comes to these things. Have also mailed Grado about this and wonder what they will say).

Thanks.

May 14, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 4
I went back to the store and got a new pair from the store owner. The new pair sound fine. It's a big difference. Absolutely not as harsh as the previous pair. And better bass presence. Stereo is also fine now. I always discover bits and pieces in tracks I never noticed before.

May 14, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 4
I went back to the store and got a new pair from the store owner. The new pair sound fine. It's a big difference. Absolutely not as harsh as the previous pair. And better bass presence. Stereo is also fine now. I always discover bits and pieces in tracks I never noticed before.

Great--the 60e is an outstanding entry level can into the audiophile (and just plain good music) path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back