New Grado SR325is owner
May 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tret

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, first off this site has been a great resource. I recently decided to stop being so cheap and treat myself to some good headphones. I went to Harmony Audio Video in San Francisco this morning and came home with the Grado SR325is headphones #567.

I have always enjoyed plenty of highs so I am not turned off by all of the reports of painful highs with the 325i drivers. So far after a couple of hours I feel the highs are just fine, love the detail. From reading different threads here I understand that a bit of a break in is in order. Can anyone give me some tips? how long? volume level? material, etc.

So far right out of the box I am hearing some details that I never heard before in songs that I thought I knew quite well. I have read about these being great rock/metal headphones and I am sure that is true but I have been listening to a few albums from The Faint (Electronic Rock, lots of synth and other effects) and I am truly pleased so far.

I am planning most of my use to be with my computer and I am interested in getting an amp to get further quality. I am by no means an experienced audiophile but I definitely can hear the quality difference and I want More!!!

Does anyone have any amp suggestions? A good pairing with the SR325is?

Many thanks again everyone, I'm quite happy with my purchase.

Rob

May 2, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 17
They won't benefit from an amp as much as other cans since they are low impedance and have good efficiency. First upgrade your source if it it's a bit behind. Get a DAC (digital audio converter) if you don't have one as that will improve your sound A LOT.

As for amps, I don't have much experience so I can't be much help, but you can do better than the Grado amp, especially as it's a bit too pricey.

I've had no pains with the highs of my 325i (the older gold ones), glad to know you like them now, and the break in should let you like them even more. I've heard some of that reputation comes from the older 325, which had more highs.

May 2, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 17
As for break in, all you really need to do is leave them plugged in playing something at a level you would listen to music at (unless you like your music really loud). Just play whatever, because it isn't going to make much of a difference. Leave them in for a 40 hours or so and you should be fine.

Or just keep listening to them. They will break in as you go.

So, welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

May 3, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 17
FourierMakesFunk,

Thanks for the reply. I am currently running an onboard sound card in my computer but I am planning to upgrade that soon.

Any recommendations on a DAC? Would I use a DAC instead of upgrading the soundcard or is it something that would work better with a better card?

Also from reading it looks like people have recommended the Little Dot I+ for use with the grado phones. Any opinions?

yeah... the wallet... I see ouch in my future
eek.gif

Rob

May 3, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tret /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah... the wallet... I see ouch in my future
eek.gif

Yes I would agree. I originally came here for some advice, and 1 1/2 years later my wallet is empty as black hole.... well that didn't make sense?

In the future you should probably invest in a recable using silver wire. I did wonders for my SR-225i!

May 3, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 17
I'm using the Cute Beyond and Supplier with my Grado 325i's and it really brought them to life.

May 3, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 17
I am using the Ray Samuels P-51 Mustang with the SR325i and it is a great combo. Plus you have a great portable setup.

May 3, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 17
I use Headroom amps. An amp certainly isn't needed, but definitely consider a decent desktop (AKA not portable) one. Your dynamics will certainly thank you!

May 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 17
I have used a few Grado headphones (SR125, RS2, and RS1) they all sounded great out of Mapletree Ear + (12B4A tubes). Currently the Solo SRG w/ PSU1 is doing a fantastic job driving them. However w/o a budget it is hard to recommend gear. Good luck.

May 3, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 17
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I am willing to spend a bit, maybe equal or a little more to what I paid for the cans... so somewhere in the 200-400 range.

My source material is pretty much all mp3, some lossless formats, games, etc.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back