New Grado RA-1 Amp (High Gain)?
Oct 2, 2003 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
Quote:

The RA-1 HG is a Grado amp capable of driving headphones with an impedance of over 100 ohms. Sound is crisp and clean - uncolored. It runs on ac only.

http://www.toddthevinyljunkie.com/pr...uct.php?id=174

i don't think i've seen this announced anywhere else. i wonder if the circuit is going to be changed at all? perhaps this amp will use $50 in parts instead of $25.
wink.gif

always good to have another commercial amp out there. anybody heard anything else about it? todd?

Oct 2, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Hmm...odd. Myself and others find the current RA-1 to drive the HD600 (300 ohm) quite well.

Oct 2, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 7
And it's the same price as the RA-1 AC version which was already out. What did they do?

Oct 28, 2003 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 7
I just mentioned in another thread that I had bought this amp from Todd, so I thought I'd follow up here as well. I've only had it a week or so, but have been really enjoying it with my HD600's, and hope to do the same with my HD650's when they arrive. I also have a battery-powered RA-1 which drives my RS-1's well, but didn't seem (to me, anyway) to be quite enough for the Senns. Note that this is not the regular RA-1 AC version, but a high gain version (also using AC) that Todd implored his friend John Grado to make, so I believe he is the only source for this amp at this point; I'm not sure it's designed to go into wide production.

Bill

Oct 28, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 7
Boy, Todd has got some serious palanca if he can get both the flat pads back into production AND get a special high gain edition of the Grado RA-1. Sheesh, this guy is simply gifted in helping the consumer get the things they want. Maybe we should sick him on the HP-1000 issue and see what he can get done.

Oct 29, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 7
Have you tried the HG RA-1 with any other high impedance cans besides the HD-600? I would like to get an idea of how well it drives the K-501.

--Chris

Oct 29, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 7
Not really, unless you count the Etymotic 4S's, which have an impedance of about 100 ohms and sounded great. My other two cans, the RS-1 and CD3000, are low impedance (32 ohms). I'm hoping to get the 650's from Headroom soon (since I apparently had one of the first pre-orders) so I'll post once I've had a chance to try them out.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back