NEW Grado PS 1000 headphones!!!
Apr 20, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #121 of 144
s1rrah: I sent them back to Graod labs last fall to replace the left bracket and tnow the left connector to the headcup has fallen off....three screwups in a row....

Quaddy...yes, I also own a pair of 125's which I have had for three years now as my headphones to travel with. I have never had any problems with them.

Apr 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #122 of 144
I've never cared for Grados, but in all fairness I haven't spent that much time with them. That being said, I still know what sounds good to my ears. From the reviews of this can, it sounds like one I'd be very interested in hearing and I hope someone brings one to CanJam and lets me listen to it on my rig (which I'm bringing in its entirety). I've already committed $1400 to the HD800, which is a huge expense for me right now but if I don't get in on it right away who knows how long I'd have to wait for another batch to arrive in the U.S.

Like others here have said, with the HD800 you have a complete new design philosophy incorporated. But in the PS1000, it's the same basic Grado build quality and design with slightly re-arranged technology. And to ask $1700 for that means John either has major cajones and doesn't mind taking a huge risk, or he is very confident that his product is now the best on the market. Either way, there are very few people who would throw down that kind of cash for a headphone.... then again, we aren't like most sane people.
biggrin.gif
I hope it is as good as the early buyers have claimed, for it just means that this year will be a super one filled with wonderful headphones.

May 6, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #124 of 144
HI All,

Some of the PS1000 have shipped and the good news from Grado Labs is that more will be shipping very soon.

Worldwide demand for this headphone is great so things are moving slower than expected BUT I expect some more of my customers to receive theirs late next week. I would think that all of the current orders I have will ship before I leave for CanJam.

I will have a PS1000 at CanJam for audition. That way many of you will be able to hear it.

I am also considering a loaner program for the PS1000 once I return from CanJam so some more of you can listen and post your impressions here.

Todd

May 13, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #125 of 144
longshot. Has anyone heard the PS1000 recabled??? I know few have heard this phone at all. Wondering, since Grado already upgraded their stock cable, and early rave reviews are all of the stock version I presume. So, one part of me is saying don't mess with a good thing, but then again, the Black Dragon cable COULD make them better.
Any thoughts?

May 13, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #126 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by wpfloridian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
s1rrah: I sent them back to Graod labs last fall to replace the left bracket and tnow the left connector to the headcup has fallen off....three screwups in a row....

Quaddy...yes, I also own a pair of 125's which I have had for three years now as my headphones to travel with. I have never had any problems with them.

Yeah, that must be real disappointing. Hopefully this is the last time.

May 26, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #130 of 144
Seems to be the new trend... announce a new headphone that costs as much as good set of speakers - then release it for actual purchase next month.. oh wait I meant the month after that... no wait, the month after the month after that.... and so on - cool

May 26, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #131 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems to be the new trend... announce a new headphone that costs as much as good set of speakers - then release it for actual purchase next month.. oh wait I meant the month after that... no wait, the month after the month after that.... and so on - cool

Some people already have their ps1000's.

Biggie.

May 29, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #133 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well now that it's looking like myself and others will finally be recieving the HD800 on Monday, I can be more patient for the PS1000
happy_face1.gif
. Maybe by the time I get restless, there will be some more impressions posted. Still debating if Black Dragon cable would be a real upgrade on the PS1000 or just a change in flavor.

May 29, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #134 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by billyearle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well now that it's looking like myself and others will finally be recieving the HD800 on Monday, I can be more patient for the PS1000
happy_face1.gif
. Maybe by the time I get restless, there will be some more impressions posted. Still debating if Black Dragon cable would be a real upgrade on the PS1000 or just a change in flavor.

Frankly, I find it difficult to understand how one starts figuring out debates about cable changes without even hearing what the original sounds like.
confused_face(1).gif

To make a decision or even ponder over a "debate", wouldn't you have to first form an understanding of the basic/original sound of the headphone in its unmodified state. Then, once you have a firm grip of the sound signature, think about what you like/dislike about the tonal characteristics. Then figure out what kind of cable upgrade might be a good match to address those sound characteristics.

Throw in a headphone amplifier, interconnects, source into the mix and now you really have a few variables to debate over.

I'm sorry, but "upgrading" something without having an understanding of the basic sound just doesn't make sense to me. Please feel free to tell me what I'm missing here or if you disagree.

I firmly believe listening is the very first step...just to understand what you are hearing.

May 29, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #135 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sorry, but "upgrading" something without having an understanding of the basic sound just doesn't make sense to me. Please feel free to tell me what I'm missing here or if you disagree.

I firmly believe listening is the very first step...just to understand what you are hearing.

IMO your statement is right on. Just like you need to wait until a piece of equipment is fully burnt in so you know it original sound. Then if there is something you would like to improve you tweak it. But to discuss upgrading something w/o listening to is is ... well insane.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back