New Grado Box Question
Aug 30, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by 03029174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

Im interested in getting one of the new Grado boxes and have a quick question for someone who ownes one. Does the wood have a laquer coating? Im interested in dying it a deep mahogony colour and was just wondering if its possible.

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete,

There is a thin coating of clear varnish on these boxes. You might have to sand it down a bit first.
I am not sure if dying it a mahongony colour would make it look that good. The box is not made of solid wood. It is heavy so I guess it maybe veneer MDF or something. No matter what you do, you are not going to get any beautiful wood grain coming out from it.
It is a good practical and solid box for the phones but it is more on the IKEA level and not antique furniture.

-Paul

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Thanks alot for the detailed answer Paul, think im gonna give it a miss unless i can find a 2nd hand one in the UK/EU. It will most likley be $130 to get a new one to the UK. :frowning2:

Thanks again

It will be hard to find a 2nd hand box in UK/EU. They are quite new and I don't think many people are buying them even in the US.
$130 is a lot of money for a wooden box! I love UK but .....

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Lol i know, its awful! Gonna stick with the Pizza box and a carrier bag until my next trip to the states

That might not work.
wink.gif
The boxes are made to order and it takes a few weeks. You have to plan your trip well in advance. The link on Grado's website is broken so the only way to order them is by phone. I recently started a thread asking about boxes for HP-1 and got some good answers there:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/box...1000-a-441945/

If ever I move back to UK I think I will come back here to do my shopping too.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back