New Go-vibes 5?
Jan 6, 2007 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

CLum

100+ Head-Fier
Just looking at the site and it appears that there are two new versions of the gv5. Instead of the LM6172 there are versions with the AD8397 or the AD8620. I already have the standard version but was wondering would any of these op-amps be better suited for the hd580?. I was planning on getting another one anyways for a friend and might just switch the vibes if one is better suited for the hd580s.

Jan 6, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 16
Just emailed Norm this week with the same question re: 580's. He recommended the AD8620 and to get the elpac dc power source (since I said I would mostly use this for home/work.)

Supposedly that fondue place isn't that great.

Jan 6, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by patgod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just emailed Norm this week with the same question re: 580's. He recommended the AD8620 and to get the elpac dc power source (since I said I would mostly use this for home/work.)

Supposedly that fondue place isn't that great.

I guess I should have done the same. Norm is great to deal with. Anyways thanks and I have an elpac on the way.

Jan 6, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how same/different the GV3 & GV5 sound if both have the AD8620 in them.

Quite different actually. Go-Vibe V1 - V4 essentially sound very similar, given that the same op-amps are used, and all are powered by a single 9v battery. The V4 offered a potential improvement in SQ with the option of using an external 12v DC power supply.
The differential drive topology of the V5 however, wherein the ground channel op-amp drives the output ground, offers better control over the headphones, better imaging and tighter bass, again given that the same op-amps are being used.
The power supply of the V5 is also considerably more efficient, and I believe this, along with a lower noise floor, also contributes to the general improvement in sound quality that the V5 offers over previous versions.
Lastly, the V5 can be used with a 24V external DC power supply (a somewhat rare option among small portable headphone amps) which can offer a big improvement in SQ, esspecially with high impedance headphones.

Jan 7, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lastly, the V5 can be used with a 24V external DC power supply (a somewhat rare option among small portable headphone amps) which can offer a big improvement in SQ, especially with high impedance headphones.

Well, Norm, you can amend that statement to include low-impedance headphones as well!

I finally got around to sourcing a 24V power supply, after having found no joy in tracking down one of those Mascot brand models listed on Norm's site. So I took a chance on this one:

ps2403.jpg

HQ Power PS2403

Only 28 Euro and built like a tank (weight: 2.6kg!
eek.gif
).

I've had my Go-Vibe V5S for about 3 weeks now and it's been an absolute delight with my portable rig, which consists of a 5G iPod, PocketDock>mini-mini and headphones consisting of Ultrasone HFI-650
hfi650700gb3.png
, PX-100, and KSC-75 (in a SportaPro headband).

However, using the Go-Vibe with my Ultrasone PROline 2500
750prolinebx3.png
in my desktop system was proving to be somewhat frustrating. Achieving volume, of course, was not the issue, after all, the 2500s are rated at 40 Ohm with an SPL sensitivity of 94 dB. The problem was that they would reach loudness so quickly that they would harden-up just as fast and simply begin to sound brittle, as if they were smacking up against a wall.

So I learned the hard way that it is indeed the lower-impedance cans that are harder to drive as they require far more current availability for them to operate smoothly. (For me, this concept is somewhat counter-intuitive; I always thought that the higher-impedance cans were harder to drive, when in fact they are easier to drive but more difficult to achieve volume, quite a different aspect.) The Go-Vibe with a single 9V cell just wasn't up to the task.

But with the HQ Power 24V, the Go-Vibe is transformed into another animal altogether; when combined with the PROline 2500s, the results are truly staggering! Honestly, my jaw just about dropped below my knees at the difference! The sheer ease of drive and fluidity of the Go-Vibe and the 2500s has been blowing my mind for the past 4 hours without the least hint of harshness.

Now when I reach for the pot to adjust the volume, instead of wondering at what point it's gonna begin to sound unpleasant, I now have the confidence of seemingly limitless possibility; no matter how high the level, the musical performance hangs together with absolute authority and integrity throughout.

Of course, I got the Go-Vibe V5S so I could play around with op-amps, but with the 24V power supply it's simply sounding so wonderful with the stock set that I may never even bother! Thanks, Norm!
280smile.gif

Now all I gotta figure out is how to fabricate a 24V battery pack so I can take this show on the road!
wink.gif
Anyone?

Cheers, Dex

P.S. Isn't it wonderful to finally have a Go-Vibe thread without the stifling thread-crapping we've endured of late?
cool.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 16
I have an Elpac (and a GV5) on order too
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back