New Go-Vibe 6 in the house!
May 1, 2007 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jowille

Head-Fier
My Go-Vibe 6 just arrived today! I gave it a short charge up period for the rechargeable battery and gave it a quick test listen with my zune! I am very impressed with this little amp. It was much smaller than I imagined, despite seeing pics here on head-fi and on Norm's site..... very well constructed!

The amp itself is very quiet, I heard no hiss coming from it. It mates well with the zune and Grado SR225's. The bass is tight and punchy and the highs shimmering and crisp. Works well with several genres of music from metal, jazz, blues and acoustic guitar!

Kudos to Norm for building such a quality piece of gear at a great price. He also responded very quickly to my emails full of questions!

Damn, head-fi is a terrible place to feed a growing addiction! I should post a pic of my empty wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jowille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Go-Vibe 6 just arrived today! ... It was much smaller than I imagined ... Kudos to Norm for building such a quality piece of gear at a great price. He also responded very quickly to my emails full of questions!

It IS amazing how much sonic happiness Norm can fit into such a small package! My Kudos to him too, for the Go-Vibe V6. With PK1's and Ety ER4S, and fed from a very modest source, it's how I spell sonic satisfaction at work:
G-O---V-I-B-E- -V-6.

Congratulations on your new listening instrument. Much enjoyment and happy listening to you.

May 1, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 17
i ordered one a few days ago, can't wait until it comes.
Post some pics of it up? I'm still scared that its quite thick and will bulge out my pocket loads.

Also did you order it with the Cardas mini to mini cable? If so, what would you comment on it's quality?

May 1, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 17
I'll post some pics up this evening. I'm at work and don't have a camera with me, but I do have the GV6!
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not that thick at all.

I did not order the cardas mini cable, probably should have though.....

May 1, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #6 of 17
have you already got a line out dock? or another mini to mini cable?
I ordered mine with a cardas mini to mini but from reading this forum it seems that the cable actually makes a fair bit of difference regarding sound quality...is the cardas up for the job? I suppose it can't be too bad if Norm is selling it with his amp.
How are you planning to burn in your GV6? Need pink noise like headphones?

May 1, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 17
now try this: remove the internal 9.6v NiMh battery and power it up with a linear reg. 24v PSU. 1 word...WoW! almost home amp type big sound everywhere but esp. bass slam/PRaT. YMMV

WARNING: on a reg. GV6, the internal battery MUST be removed before powering it up with any voltage higher than 12 or the battery gets fried! on the GV6m, the batterys fine in or out.

May 1, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 17
I don't have a line out dock for the zune yet. Can anyone reccomend one? I can't find a line out cable for it yet.

I should have ordered the cardas mini cable with it and kick myself for that.... I'll have to find a shorter and better quality one than I have, I am now using a Radioshack gold cable.....(I know.....)

I ordered the 12v psu with the regular gv 6, I'll have to find a 24 v regulated supply and try that!!!! Sounds cool! my grado ra-1 runs on 18v and sounds good, but 9v on the GV6 blows that away....!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 17
There is no line-out cable for Zune. You can connect the Zune via headphone out or the line-out via dock. However, I heard that the dock line-out has a internal amp. So basically, it makes no different between headphone out and dock line out.

May 2, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiebabie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now try this: remove the internal 9.6v NiMh battery and power it up with a linear reg. 24v PSU. 1 word...WoW! almost home amp type big sound everywhere but esp. bass slam/PRaT. YMMV

WARNING: on a reg. GV6, the internal battery MUST be removed before powering it up with any voltage higher than 12 or the battery gets fried! on the GV6m, the batterys fine in or out.

WARNING, the OP has the Go-Vibe 6 with the internal charging circuit. That being the case you can not use the 24 volt PSU. The following is from Norm's website:

Quote:

This battery charging circuit is designed to charge a 9.6v NiMH battery when an optional 12V DC power supply is plugged in. This is the only type and voltage of battery which can be used in the standard V6.

May 2, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a v6m that I use at work everyday. It compares favorably to my Tomahawk. Is it as good? No, but it's half the cost and almost as good.

How long did it take for the Go-Vibe to ship to you guys? I just sent my e-mail for a quote tonight.

May 2, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WARNING, the OP has the Go-Vibe 6 with the internal charging circuit. That being the case you can not use the 24 volt PSU. The following is from Norm's website:

hehe! i email Norm@Govibe about this issue and he's fine with it. as stated, only issue is the battery. at 12v the internal charging circuit charges the battery. at >12V the battery starts to get hot and perhaps fry. if the battery is removed, the internal circuitry can safely handle 24v and the opamp performs at its best. FWIW, i've been using 24v (with batt. out ofcoz) for over a week now. its all good
580smile.gif

May 5, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 17
anyone know how govibe v6 compares to v5s if you upgrade to ad8610/8620 opamps?

May 5, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamfan16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long did it take for the Go-Vibe to ship to you guys? I just sent my e-mail for a quote tonight.

I sent my order to Norm on a Saturday and I received my amp via USPS the next Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back