New Gaming Headset
Oct 31, 2014 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

whitedragon551

100+ Head-Fier
I am in the market for a new gaming headset. Must have a mic. Currently I used the Logitech G230 I think is what it is. I dislike the mic/volume controls inline as they always seem to crap out first.

So far I am looking at the Shure BRH440M, Sennheiser U320 or PC320. Anyone have any other recommendations around $100 or less?

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 10
HyperX Cloud headphones, which appear to be Takstar Pro 80s with a mic added on.

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 10
  HyperX Cloud headphones, which appear to be Takstar Pro 80s with a mic added on.

Ok. Have you heard the others in comparison or just going based on what the speakers in the HyperX look like?

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 10

Ok. Have you heard the others in comparison or just going based on what the speakers in the HyperX look like?

I own the Gemini HSR-1000, which is another name the Takstar Pro 80s are sold under.
To me the Gemini (Takstar) are the best sounding closed headphone for under $100.
I would assume if Sony put their name on them, they would sell for $150.

If the "namebrand" headsets you listed sounded as good as the Gemini/Takstar/HyperX, then they would be selling for over $150.
But they sell well under $150.

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 10

I own the Gemini HSR-1000, which is another name the Takstar Pro 80s are sold under.
To me the Gemini (Takstar) are the best sounding closed headphone for under $100.
I would assume if Sony put their name on them, they would sell for $150.

If the "namebrand" headsets you listed sounded as good as the Gemini/Takstar/HyperX, then they would be selling for over $150.
But they sell well under $150.

So you havent had any real life use of any head sets listed here including the Kingston HyperX headphones, but are going based on the fact they look similar? I have been in the audio game for a long time and similar looking drivers definitely doesnt mean they are the same. Based on manufacturer specs they arent even the same sensitivity or the same resistance. Chalk that up how you will, but to me that shows they arent the same driver.

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 10

So you havent had any real life use of any head sets listed here including the Kingston HyperX headphones, but are going based on the fact they look similar? I have been in the audio game for a long time and similar looking drivers definitely doesn't mean they are the same. Based on manufacturer specs they aren't even the same sensitivity or the same resistance. Chalk that up how you will, but to me that shows they aren't the same driver.

It's very common for a regular stereo headphone to get a different paint job and have a mic added on an have the creation called a gaming headset.
The Hyper X Cloud looks exactly like a Takstar Pro 80, except with a mic added on and a different paint job

Technical Pro, Gemini, Greathon, CyperX, Qpad all sell a headphone that looks exactly like the Takstar Pro 80s, all with different paint jobs and some with mics added on.
I think the specs are listed as being "different" to throw people off that they are all the same headphone.
As all these companies do not want to directly compete with one another.

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 10

It's very common for a regular stereo headphone to get a different paint job and have a mic added on an have the creation called a gaming headset.
The Hyper X Cloud looks exactly like a Takstar Pro 80, except with a mic added on and a different paint job

Technical Pro, Gemini, Greathon, CyperX, Qpad all sell a headphone that looks exactly like the Takstar Pro 80s, all with different paint jobs and some with mics added on.
I think the specs are listed as being "different" to throw people off that they are all the same headphone.
As all these companies do not want to directly compete with one another.

Sale: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826468001

Anyone have any experience with the others in the OP?

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 10
Anyone else?

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 10
if you have a pair of headphones you like i would consider adding a modmic to it, works great :D

when it comes to gaming headsets my preference is the Plantronics Gamecom 780, the sound quality is pretty decent, they are incredibly comfortable, have good build quality, good sounding mic, virtual surround if you are into that kind of thing. overall they are everything you would expect from a high quality gaming headset and don't cost a ton.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #10 of 10
I went the modmic road and attached them to the Shure SRH750DJ's I have that I love. They never get used anyway as the ASG2's are more portable but now I have a reason.

I was able to sneak the modmic cable through the coiled cable on the Shure's and use the cable management clips Antlion sent to bundle everything into 1 cord.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back