New Gaming Headset
Jun 10, 2014 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KSIXephos938

Head-Fier
Hi guys! So I'm in the market for a new headset for gaming. I am currently leaning towards the Astro A40's but might have to do without the Mixamp because of cost and a lack of USB ports. I do have the FiiO E07K but I currently have my speakers and subwoofer connected so that might be an issue.

I wanted to know what you guys think of gaming headsets. I have heard that headsets from gaming companies are usually of low quality and that I should be looking towards a headset from an audio company, but the thing is that I have only found Sennheiser headsets and I have read that they are lacking bass, which is crucial to be immersed into a game.

So do you have any ideas of a headset that first and foremost has a mic, but also good soundstage and rich bass? Thanks!

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 5
Howdy. Do a search for Mad Lust Envy's guide to gaming headphones. You're right, most 'gaming' headsets from non-audio brands usually don't quite do the job they should. What's your budget? Do you have a dedicated soundcard?

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 5
Hey! Checked out the guide and the Astro A40's were listed, but Skull Candy and Monster headphones were listed as well, so he might have just put all the headphones and not just the best ones.

But from what I have seen, the PC360, AD700, K612 Pro and HD598 are probably ones that I am considering. I've got a pair of speakers that I can muddy up the bass and listen while I play single player whereas the headphones come in when I play multiplayer and so I wanted a clean headphone with superb soundstage, and those headphones seemed like it. What are your thoughts about those two headsets?

Also what is actually Dolby Headphone? I'm using a laptop so I doubt that my sound card would support it.

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 5
I can't recommend the Astro A40's enough! I've had them for 5 years, and I'm still using them. I wouldn't go with the mix amp, personally I heard no difference in sound quality. The mixamp's slowly dying on me, gives this static sound whenever I move, but that's probably due to being so old. These are built like a tank, super light weight, and really really comfortable. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 5
I can't recommend the Astro A40's enough! I've had them for 5 years, and I'm still using them. I wouldn't go with the mix amp, personally I heard no difference in sound quality. The mixamp's slowly dying on me, gives this static sound whenever I move, but that's probably due to being so old. These are built like a tank, super light weight, and really really comfortable. 

Um, well I stated that I wanted these new headphones to be used for competitive gaming and the mixamp is a main part of it because of the use of Dolby Headphone. I think that the reason you can't hear the difference of with and without the mixamp is because you have a decent sound card. I am currently using a gaming laptop and so I am fairly certain that my sound card wouldn't support Dolby Digital.

However, the A40's are still ahead of the other headphones because of the fact that they are only $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back