New Gaming Headset, need some advices
Mar 18, 2018 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lucaaaa

New Head-Fier
Hi guys !
I want to buy a new high-end gaming headset, but I really need some help to choose one, and I have some question :

- Open or Closed for gaming ?
- Sennheiser Game Zero/One or Beyerdynamic MMX 300 ?
- If I choose Beyerdynamic, the best is to buy an MMX 300 or to buy a DT 770/990 and add a modmic (less expensive).
- If I choose Beyerdynamic, I need to buy which version of it ? 32, 80 or 250 Ohms ? (I have an laptop Alienware 15 R3)

Thanks for any advice !

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 9
HD579/598
DT990/770 32 or 80ohm

I use my DT990 and a desktop mic for gaming. Typically, headset iterations of headphones are just more expensive for the gaming branding they slap on it. I would buy a cheap mic and spend your money on a decent pair of headphones.

Mar 18, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 9
HD579/598
DT990/770 32 or 80ohm

I use my DT990 and a desktop mic for gaming. Typically, headset iterations of headphones are just more expensive for the gaming branding they slap on it. I would buy a cheap mic and spend your money on a decent pair of headphones.

I gave my little brother 770/990 for music/gaming... but he likes his Turtle Beach Pro Seven more.

He says they are more 3D lol.

Well his teen ears are younger than mine which are twice his age almost.

giphy.gif

I think it comes down to amping. They obviously need more power the Beyers.

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 9
I would suggest the Senns over the Beyers typically. But the 32ohm 990 I have works fine without any amping. I can use it from the phone and right out of my Xbox controller with no issues. However, to touch on a point I feel worth making, if the OP is looking for competitive play, the Senns are the way to go. If immersion is the outcome, I would say the Beyers.

This is just my opinion. Sennheiser and Beyer Dynamics arent the only two companies out there for decent gaming headphones so Im sure there are others.

Edit: This thread is worth looking at

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...bius-impressions-check-latest-updates.534479/

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 9
I would suggest the Senns over the Beyers typically. But the 32ohm 990 I have works fine without any amping. I can use it from the phone and right out of my Xbox controller with no issues. However, to touch on a point I feel worth making, if the OP is looking for competitive play, the Senns are the way to go. If immersion is the outcome, I would say the Beyers.

This is just my opinion. Sennheiser and Beyer Dynamics arent the only two companies out there for decent gaming headphones so Im sure there are others.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mad...bius-impressions-check-latest-updates.534479/

Oh great point about the 32'ohmers. I guess the 16ohm dt770 would work without the amp as well. hmm. the 770 and 990 i mentioned earlier are 80/250 ohm'ers respectively.

Mar 19, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 9

So you said that for competitive gaming the Sennheiser is better ? Because it's to play at PUBG and CSGO, and I have to wear it a lot of time (without amp, or a cheaper one)

Mar 19, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #7 of 9
Senns tend to be very comfortable. Theyre a bit anemic when it comes to bass, but the soundstage is nice and wide and foot steps are very easy to hear. That would be my suggestion if amping is an issue. The HD598/579/559 are worth looking at.

Alternatively, I use DT990 a lot too. The soundstage seems slightly narrower, but not by much. It should be worth noting too, I havent used the HD5-- series for gaming since the HD555 was a thing. But I would still reccomend the HD5-- family.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 9
I was using the hd650s for a while. It's great gaming headphone if you want to avoid any harsh sounds. I just picked up the Meze 99 classics for gaming. They are pretty good for a closed back headphones. Decent sound stage and good bass. Very comfortable and easy to drive. They have more of fun signature that fits gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back