new G4 iPod and E3C- noise coming from where?
Aug 28, 2004 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

onestep2

New Head-Fier
New to the forum, so I hope this hasn't been covered already; and it's a headphone forum issue. I recently got ,as a gift ,a pair of Shure E3C's to go with a new 4G iPod (replaced a 3G one- both 40 GB). I can hear what sounds like the drive spin up, when the buffer is used up; and static when a song ends/next one begins.

I didn't hear this with the 3G iPod- but didn't have ear canal phones either. I swapped the iPod for another new one at the Apple store- I hear the same thing (but less intense). So, I guess I'm wondering if the E3C's are just extremely sensitive or am I doing something wrong? (or is it the iPod) I haven't quite got the 'seal' issue down yet- been trying the foamies and the flexible rubber- maybe jamming them in too deep?
confused.gif
Wondered if de-fragging the iPod drive would help with the static/noise issue?

Anyway- didn't read anything in the forum about this issue- so hope someone can help. Thanks ahead of time- really glad to have found this forum- could read forever here
biggrin.gif

thanks again- onestep2

oh sorry- been ripping with the iTunes AAC ripper at 192- formerly used the Psytel (before the iPods) or external Lame. My other phones are my very old but beloved Sennheiser 580's.

Aug 28, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 22
Wish I had seen that before I bought the 4G. The second one was fine, at first, then slowly started to make the static/drive noise again. The Apple store is noisy as hell, so very hard to get anyone to admit to hearing anything. Any ideas besides swapping, appreciate it. Just over 30 days- so no promise of another new- not re-conditioned- one now. I was tired of Microsoft ripping me off- now Apple
rolleyes.gif

Thanks again- I'll keep reading those posts, now that I know where to find them.

Aug 28, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 22
dude- replace the ipod until you get one that works properly. no need to keep a defective product. in fact i think i'll forget grabbing the 4G even tho my 3G did that odd seizure thing once...

Aug 28, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 22
3g > 4g end of story
biggrin.gif

if i were to buy an ipod id get a 3g since they are dirt cheap and are better build quality

Aug 28, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 22
Well I'm on my third 4G and finally this one does not have the defect. It absolutely is not your phones, it's the pod. Scotch tape works to cure the problem too as well as the headphone pull-out suggestion. But my feeling is it is a serious defect and it's worth swapping them until you get one that works.

Aug 29, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 22
The tape isolation fix doesn't work for everyone. I have had several 4G iPods and I've tested them each with Shure E5c's and Etymotic ER-4P's. Each had the hard drive whine problem to varying degrees. One iPod (my current) only does it on the left channel.

I can pull the jacks out and I can isolate with tape, but neither has any impact on the hard drive noise.

I have also gone as far as to hook the iPods up to a spectrum analyzer to visually examine the noise. It's easy to see/measure the problem in that manner.

Enough people have suggested isolating the headphone jack metal from the iPod metal to give it merit. I believe there is more than 1 problem and it's getting all rolled up since it's all "noise".

B

Aug 29, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by beaglePod
Try this...it works for me. Pull out your headphone jack just a little bit so that the plug does not contact the iPod body, the harddisk start up noise and the 1 sec. of static disappears when I do this. I don't have any noise when I use the line out. Have tested this with my SR80, E3c, and MS-2.

Hey, this works! thanks a lot! It didn't bother me when I used my 4G with my EX70, but with better cans it got REALLY anonying.

Aug 29, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #10 of 22
Thanks for the suggestions; much appreciated. I called the local Apple store where I got the 4G and they had something of an attitude problem. Then I called Apple and they immediately agreed to take it back/send a replacement. The guy basically admitted there was a problem- more than I can say for the Apple store 'genius'.

Sorry to have taken up your time with a player problem, instead of a headphone issue. I can't believe I missed alll the sites referencing this issue- feeling a little embarassed for sure! Thanks again for the help- onestep2

Sep 1, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #11 of 22
I just got a 4G 40GB unit and the static/hum issue is AWFUL with my Sensas. I can hear every click-wheel scroll as a mid-volume buzz and the drive access noise is as loud as can be. My big issue now is trying to get the damn thing returned -- it was a gift and I can assume (but have no receipt) that it was from one of the Apple stores in the DC-area. I am guessing I can try Apple directly, but I would prefer to have the thing in my hands now.

Sep 1, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 22
I just got a pair of shure e3c's last night and I never realized I had the drive noise problem until I used good phones. I knew about the problem and checked with my sony canal phones and couldn't hear it.

When the noise happens it's awful. It's like a whir and then 5-10 sec of static. I haven't completely figured it out but it doesn't happen 100% of the time. It seems to depend on the orientation of the plug I had it working for a while with the plug all the way in and not a bit of noise.

I'll try the scotch tape on the headphone jack tonight and see if that helps. It seems like it might in my case. since it seems to depend on the plug.

As for returning it I'm busy as heck the next few weekends and I can only make it to the apple store once. Is it worth it to try for a return and play the random number game? I've heard that unless they can hear the problem with the stock earphones (they won't unless they are in a sound booth) they won't take it back.

I guess I'm thinking of living with the problem until Apple admits the problem and then just returning it for serice/replacement, when it's not so new and I can live without it. (I'm traveling the next 2 weeks)

What to do?
Jeff
confused.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROTAK
3g > 4g end of story
biggrin.gif

if i were to buy an ipod id get a 3g since they are dirt cheap and are better build quality

better build quality-- can you give us some details as to how the 3G is built better? As far as construction goes, I would say they're about dead even. There's also the fact that the 3G gets about 6-7 hours real-world battery life, whereas the 4G is closer to 11 hours. That alone knocks the 3G out for me...

Sep 1, 2004 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 22
I think the 4G build problems people refer to are related to the static/whirring sound. Not every 4G has the problem, so it's related to build quality in some way. To my knowledge, this problem doesn't occur with the 3G iPod.

Sep 1, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbk
I think the 4G build problems people refer to are related to the static/whirring sound. Not every 4G has the problem, so it's related to build quality in some way. To my knowledge, this problem doesn't occur with the 3G iPod.

yep this problem doesn't exist with the 3G. but i'm still tempted to play 4G roulette just to get something that plays equally as well but with a better battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back