"New fuse makes stereos sound fantastic"--article
Apr 5, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozhoven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about attaching an in-line fuse to the power cord itself (pre-power supply)?

I don't quite get what your asking. What I think you are asking is if there is any difference between these topologies:

[power-circuit][Fuse/EntryModule][Cord]

vs.

[power-circuit][EntryModule][FusePutExternalForSomeReason][Cord]

The electrons are still going through the fuse. If you think fuses colour sound, I don't really see why this is any different.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #17 of 22
Also, it really depends on what you mean by an "AC" problem. Fuses are basically designed to only do one thing -- if power (as in, watts) exceeds a certain limit, they blow. They don't do anything about what most people term as "AC" problems as in bad waveforms, etc.

In terms of circuit topology, they're the same as a wire.

If you remove the fuse, well, instead of the fuse blowing something else will. The worst case scenario is that whatever blows ends up shorting in such a way that it puts out enough heat to become a fire hazard. This isn't unheard of.

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not removing the fuse, it will sound far better, and will save you $30.00?
rolleyes.gif

I know you might be joking, but wouldn't this be like really really bad?

Apr 7, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #20 of 22
...or a little bit of spit and a wipe on your shirt.

See ya
Steve

May 3, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #22 of 22
I am enjoying the effect of replacing the fuse in my Mapletree Ear+ Purist HD amp with a Hi-Fi Tuning Fuse (500 mA, 1.25 inch, fast blow). Mostly what I notice is a blacker background from which the sonic features in the music stand out more fully. This, overall, is appreciated by me as a sound which is a nice step closer to that of a live and present musical performance. The effect is worth the price of the Hi-Fi Tuning Fuse to me, and replacing this fuse falls within my own range of audio equipment "modification" skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back