New Funk Bands?
Jan 22, 2009 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

m0b1liz3

100+ Head-Fier
I liked it when Incognito, Brand New Heavies and even Jamiroquai came out in the 90s. Has anyone heard of bands similar to that genre. Jazz-funk but with modern sounds (have already visited all of the blogspots to discover obscure 60-70s jazz funk so want to hear about newer artists). Even the Beastie Boys put out a few funky tracks in the 90s

Karl Denson seems like a pretty good newer sax player but I am having problems finding other artists that play funk without sounding like the same old stuff. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 5
Nomo
Budos Band
Gnarls Barkley
Sugarman Three
Orgone
Daktaris
Poets of Rhythm
Bamboos
The New Mastersounds

That should keep you busy for a while. If you set up an account on Amazon, even if you don't use it. After you search and listen to samples of these they will make recommendations based on what you have searched and that will turn up even more. I happen to own some of each of these bands and enjoy them all. I also own a lot of the old funk, TOP, Funkadelic, Parliament, etc.

Funkengruven to the end
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 5
x2 on galactic and greyboy allstars - both great recommendations.. karl denson is in the greyboy allstars btw.

robert walter's 20th congress is another great jazz/funk group.. you can get soundboard recordings of their shows for free on archive.org's live music archive.. robert walter is the keyboardist for the greyboy allstars too.

medeski, martin, and wood isn't strictly jazz/funk but definitely jazzy with lots of funky songs.. *incredible* musicians.

t.j. kirk is great.. it's a jazz-funk supergroup with 3 extremely talented guitarists. check out the album reviews on amazon to see if maybe it might be what you're looking for..

let's see.. what else.. Garage a Trois is a great funk band with Charlie Hunter. Soulive is good. You can probably find stuff from both of these artists on archive.org as well. Just google 'live music archive'

this is a little older but one of the greatest funk albums ever: Amazon.com: Soul Vaccination: Live: Tower of Power: Music

hope that helps!

Jan 25, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 5
x2 on Medeski, Martin & Wood, one of my favorites right now. Also been getting into a litttle-bit of John Scofield. Good Luck.
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back